7. Traitor

I put a new book cover that I personally design. Enjoy reading!

---

A week had passed since Ariadne had traveled back to the past. That time was enough for her to collect all the information she needed for her plan. Ariadne had three goals on which her plan was built. Aside from it, she also listed some important events that she could remember; those things might prove valuable for her to achieve the changes she desired.

She held her breath as her personal maid, Arissa, dressed her in a pink gown. It had an elaborate hem with pieces of amethyst sewn on it. She tried to suppress the urge to frown on the .gown's color. After her father died, Ariadne became responsible for selecting her dresses. She wasn't fond of pastel and light colors; she preferred dark and bright ones. Perhaps I could ask him about it some other time.

This day was important to her. Aside from meeting the Duke and Osriel, she would also meet someone very dear to her. She only realized it after her father asked her to memorize the names of each lady and lord and the name of their sons and daughters, and from there, she saw his name. She could not help but let her lips curl upward as her hands traced his name.

Two weeks from now would be the Winternight Festival, which celebrates the start of winter. This was the reason the vassal houses would go to the palace. Winternight was predominantly celebrated in the southern regions of the Empire, where the winter season would start sooner and end later than most parts of the country. Ever since Atolia was founded, it became a tradition for the vassals to pay homage to the Duke of Atolia.

"My lady is lovely," Arissa said behind her as she started putting amethyst pins on her hair.

"Thank you."

For some reason, an expression of awe crossed the maid's face. She nodded to herself.

"My lady is changing lately... and you talk more easily to me and to others."

Ariadne smiled. "It is?"

Her behavior changed within a day after a new soul entered her body. Ariadne didn't know much about how the previous her behaved aside from being timid, an attitude that she could not erase until the fall when her father died. Right now, she had with her the knowledge of the future and the experience she had accumulated through the years of scheming and politicking in the high society, both in the Imperial Capital and Atolia. Ariadne would use these things to battle fate. But if those things weren't enough, she still had something she managed to retain in this life...

"My lady, I'll fetch the Lord Astram to check on you," Arissa said after securing the last amethyst pin.

"Do as you please."

She watched as the door closed and then turned to the mirror before her. Ariadne inspected her face; the light pouring from the window had made her blue eyes shine brighter. She raised her hand as if to reach toward her reflection. "I still have my power as a Leecher and my knowledge as an alchemist to help. If trying to change Osriel's fate is not enough... I can just kill that damn bastard of de Miurgen when I'm given a chance."

Though the power she had right now was weaker than the one she owned in her previous life, it would still suffice. I can train to improve my Grade and Range.

She didn't manage to have this power until she turned fourteen, but she managed to become a Leecher four years earlier in this lifetime. I have time on my hands to improve this power, my alchemy, and medicine-making. Ever since I watched my father die, I became passionate about curing diseases; little did I know that while studying medicine, I would also be interested in poison which became one of my strengths.