6. Wagon Ride

3rd day of Omnaltin, 1283

The fish began to perish when the rivers became too salty to sustain them. But it was not as damaging as we had predicted.

The Magisterium sent us a group of researchers who would experiment on salt as an adsorbent material for poison.

But the fish started dying on the fourth day of the experiment, and we immediately had to stop the researchers as it might further affect the habitat of fish and plants in the river. Nevertheless, salt was proven effective as an adsorbent but unideal in treating more giant lakes and rivers. First, the cost of using this method would take a massive toll on the Empire's treasury; and just like what Andrew said, 'the gods know how hard the nobles might pull on their own hair if they realize that all the money is being used in buying salt.' Another thing was the damage it could do to the natural environment; just the thought of it made my head spin.

We are back to putting water in the river to lessen the poison's potency, but we also have a new task at hand, which is restoring the lightly damaged habitat of the fish using the Songs.

Lord Mikkaelo Sarganse

---

6th day of Omnaltin, 1283

I am writing this letter as we ride back to the Magisterium. Earlier on our trip, one of the carriage's wheels suddenly broke. The coachmen told us it might take three days before he could find a replacement for its broken wheel. In this situation, we had to use our privilege as esteemed members of the Magisterium—to get a ride on a passing wagon. Thankfully, the owner's destination is Limbes City.

The trip using a wagon was a different experience. The journey was always exciting as we kept encountering new people on the road. It was the exodus season, and many middle-class families were going to the capital or some other big city in the Empire to celebrate the Mid-Autumn Festival. The event was celebrated throughout Omnalron (11-day celebration); it was the fifth and last week in the month of Omnal. So, it means I still have time to reach the capital and celebrate it.

Just like I said, riding a wagon was a different experience. Still, it soon became tedious, especially when the wagon's owner had already told you everything, from his birth to his secret infidelity with his wife's boss. On one of those tedious days, I decided to write this entry because I had nothing else to do but watch the endless fields of wheat on both sides of the road and listen to the unpleasant sounds Lord Andrew made as he took his afternoon nap.

I only wished we could reach the capital before the Chancellor's Grand Meeting; though we already knew the problem she would address, we still wanted to hear it from her mouth. Because it seemed that the fieldworkers deployed in the northwestern part of the Empire detected a new disease. And it possessed uncanny similarities with Spiderbane Plague.

Lord Mikkaelo Sarganse