7※ Where Insecurities Lie

▪♡♡♡♡▪

"They say failure is the key to success. But the thing is, I don't plan on failing this time. I aim for success."

----------------------------------------------------

"Your highness..." Vanilla glared at him.

"Yes...?" Rezef questioned while acting innocent.

Her eye twitched. "Y-You're suffocating m-me...." She wiggled out of his grasp, successfully evading his bone crushing hug. The girl breathed out a sigh of relief and started to brainstorm.

How will I tell him anyway,

"Yo, your highness Princess Cayena will die because of you so it's best to stop using her!" She imagined herself wearing shades, acting cool in front of Rezef.

Or

"U-Um your highness, I'm friends with the Princess now. So... you see, I noticed that you're manipulating her for your own selfish games. Stop it!" Another version of her said, acting cute to persuade Rezef.

I give up....

Rezef blinked at Vanilla's depressed self. He could practically see her soul leaving her body as he tried to snap her off of her trance.

....

"Why would you ask me to help my own sister. Not to mention save her? Just what do you mean, Vanilla Ivey."

He looks so serious. Help I'm scared.

"What will you gain from this?" Rezef fired another question yet again, the anxious girl couldn't come in between to give him a clear explanation.

"Not to mention Cayena almost killed you," The blond haired Prince refused to maintain eye contact with Vanilla. Feeling guilty that he wasn't present at that time to save her.

With a sigh the lowly maid answered her master. "I'm asking you to save Cayena out of pity. Is that enough? I know I won't gain anything from it and if you put it that way... I'll fix that problem myself,"

"All I ever ask for is your assurance." Vanilla placed a hand over her chest; where her wounded heart lies.

"You're asking for my help yet I don't even know what you want me to do exactly,"

She narrowed her eyes at him. Sending him the most precise stare she could make with those disappointed eye balls.

"You know what I mean, Rezef! Are you seriously still planning on playing the innocent act," Rezef's eyes widened. He hadn't really thought about it, Vanilla never bothered about Cayena in the past. So why now?

On top of that, he still remembered the number of times she complained to him about his sister. Her hatred towards the Princess was crystal clear, even an outsider could notice.

Why is she helping Cayena when he already has her future planned out? Use her until she doesn't have any use, then throw her away like a rag doll when he's finished.

That was the plan. His sister was the main puzzle piece! She plays an important role, the Marionette that will give him all the money and power.

And most importantly, the throne...

"Just how long can you keep everything from me?" She raised her head to face him properly due to the height difference. Her betrayed expression only made his heart ache.

I can't believe I let it slip from her. Now she'll think I don't trust her anymore, I will surely punish the person who told her about this.

In the end, Rezef excused himself claiming he was too tired to deal with everything right now. Which was uncalled for, she knew he just didn't approve of helping. It reminded her of the times that he was actually worn-out but was trying his best to keep her company.

The word too tired and Rezef avoiding her was far too foreign. He never ever said no to his beloved, Vanilla Ivey.

So in conclusion. She failed to convince him,

Of course the thought of "seducing" him crossed her mind not only once. It is a piece of cake, if she'd done that then the possibility of his approval would increase. But that wasn't the case, as much as she wanted to help her new friend.

She just couldn't imagine the aftermath of that. The consequences will be terrifying, and if he were to find out that he was being used...

The world will end.

Vanilla Ivey no doubt has manipulated Rezef Hill occasionally in the past, but that was considered to be mild and never severe. He just didn't notice it or didn't bother investigating.

They met and became friends since childhood, even exchanging likes and dislikes. Their "love story" may sound like the ones in fairy tales where the Prince fell in love with a commoner, a mere maid. But their relationship was no where near "healthy" as some people call it.

Their relationship was toxic.

Not because they wanted it to be as one, it just developed and became one. As they grew older their personalities and views in life changed.

They were supposed to separate and go on with their lives as suggested. But both of them forced themselves to be together, even after three years of barely seeing each other. Rezef admitted he was feeling "empty" without her where in reality he was just so used to always seeing and talking to her, and when they stopped seeing each other.

So not meeting her everyday as usual was something unusual to Rezef. He was so anxious on getting his life back the way it was with the person he was so used to. While Vanilla was worried if her life will ever be the same as it was. Thier love was supposed to be platonic but they forced themselves to think it was actually true love.

That was where their insecurities lie.

■□□□□□□■
Words count: 1038

🐰: So in short, Rezef and Vanilla were supposed to realize that it wasn't working out and it was better if they remain as childhood friends and nothing more.

But since Cayena regressed back to her past life after dying in the modern world and with Vanilla's current situation. How will things turn out?

Sorry if I wrote this chapter wrong in some way. I'm not really and I'm not planning to experience love and that word just doesn't fit well with someone like me. So this whole story is mainly coming from my delusional mind so no hard feelings yeah?