Chapter 10

As she gets ready, Nick finds Karl and they also have people get them ready.
A few hours later, they arrive at the ballroom for the ceremony and are waiting at the doors for it to begin.

“I hope you and the Princess will be very happy together.” Karl said to Nick.

“Thanks.” He replied and a few minutes later, they were announced and walked into the ballroom. They smile and wave at everyone and take their places at the bottom of the staircase to wait on Mallory.

“And now ladies and gentlemen, a long time waiting for our country, Princess Mallory!” Everyone looks up and sees her ascending down the staircase. She is wearing a long slender baby blue dress. It has jewels and lace over the front and has a long train from the middle of her dress. Her hair is styled, and she has a tiara on her head. She has gloves on to match her dress and glass slippers. When she reaches the bottom, Karl steps back but she reaches out for him and Nick steps back.

“What are you doing?” He whispered as he took her arm and smiled at the people.

“I’m walking in with my fiancé on my arm, now keep smiling.” He has a shocked look as he looks at Nick.

“She and I are over, for good.” Nick mouths to Karl. He nods and looks at everyone and smiles. They reach the middle of the room.

“Thank you everyone, thank you very much. Please be seated, I have an announcement to make. Prince Karl and I are to be married.” Everyone applauds and raises their glasses. They hear the music and take their position to dance.

“What happened with you and Nick?” Karl asked in a hushed voice.

“I set him free. He doesn’t want this life and I told him that I won’t force him to be here, I want him to be happy and have a life free from this life so after this, he’s going home. You and I will get married and I’m sure we will have a wonderful life together. I meant what I said, I can see myself falling in love with you, I just had to let him go, for good. I’m looking toward my future and you are in it. Are you ok with that?”

“Very much so, my feelings for you haven’t changed. I do love you. I just want you to be happy and I’ll support you no matter what.”

They talk while they dance and then the song ends.

“Wow, I didn’t even realize we were done already, I wasn’t even paying attention to the steps.”

“That’s when you know, you got it down. See the way I think is, if you must think about it, it’ll never feel like it’s coming naturally but, if you keep your mind off whatever it is, you can do it with ease and without knowing you’re doing it. I knew talking would help you keep your mind off it.”

“I see what you did there, very clever my Prince.” He smiled down at her and they walked off to take their seats at the table in front of everyone else. Next to her is Nick on one side and Karl on the other. A few minutes later Mallory stands up and goes to meet everyone, one table at a time. She talks with each person for a few minutes before moving on.

Karl joined her after he realized what she was doing. She met so many royalties from other countries and office officials and other important people. She finishes up and sits back down and dinner is being served. They eat and socialize after dinner and dance and drink. Karl and Nick are on the dance floor and Mallory is standing on the side with everyone else watching people dance.

Karl dances his way over to her and takes her onto the dance floor to dance with her.  He pulls her close to his body and sways to the soft music. She lays her head on his chest and closes her eyes.

“This feels right.” Karl said softly in her ear.

“Mmm it truly does.” She whispered back. They dance till the song is over. A couple hours later everyone says their goodbyes and leaves the palace. Mallory and Nick are the only two in the ballroom.