Chapter 10

Peering through the crack in the door, she thought she couldn't see properly

Peering through the crack in the door, she thought she couldn't see properly. "Alan? What are you doing here, I thought we were going to figure out what to do this weekend?" Puzzled, she looked toward him, unable to guess what he was up to.

He didn't know what to say to her question, after all she was right. He already felt like the biggest idiot. He reached forward with his hand with the wine and held the bottle in front of her. "I know," he started to speak nervously inside, "actually we agreed on something else, but I didn't want to wait all weekend. Do you think we could try to talk about this again? Please." Pleadingly, he looked at her, waiting for her to respond, as she stared at him as if she wasn't quite sure if she should slam the door in his face.

Rosalyn felt blindsided by him, what's more, she was already wearing comfortable clothes and didn't really want to be seen like that, especially not by her secret dream man. "Alan, I don't know if this is a good idea," she now said shyly in response, looking at the bottle of wine he was still holding in front of her nose.

"Am I disturbing you, are you perhaps expecting guests?" he asked, and a jealousy unknown to him invaded his thoughts. It would never have occurred to him that he could interrupt her doing anything. Actually, it was naive of him to assume that she was just waiting for his company and had no other private life. Inwardly he rolled his eyes at his stupidity, but now he was already here. She still didn't give him an answer to his question and Alan was getting rather uncomfortable with the whole situation, finally standing around in the hallway outside the apartment. "I'm sorry for my remark, of course it's none of my business what you do in your free time, I don't want to bother you any longer. Have a nice evening." He was already about to turn away to escape the embarrassing situation, but Rosalyn now seemed to wake up from her rigidity.

"No Alan, you're not interrupting, but you honestly caught me off guard. Look, I don't even have decent clothes on anymore," she said to him. His gaze automatically slid over her figure by her statement, which made her uncomfortable, after all she looked more like a sack of potatoes in those loose clothes.

By now he had the red wine hugged to his chest and he was incredibly embarrassed that he had even thought of visiting her that evening. Actually, it was more than unseemly of him to expect her to make time for him.

Rosalyn could tell something was wrong with him. Nervously, she nibbled her lower lip, feverishly searching for a solution. "Would you like to come in, perhaps? I have to admit, though, I haven't given much thought to how to proceed from here."

"I'll only come in if I'm really not bothering you," he said to her now. "If you want, we can have a glass of wine together, maybe it will be easier to talk about our problems then. I've specially chosen an excellent red wine, I'm sure you'll like it," he tried to distract her, because he still felt extremely out of place.

"Gladly we can taste the wine together, actually I was just about to decide what to have for dinner, but honestly I have no idea yet," she said to him and opened the door wider for him to enter.