Chapter 18

He caressed Rosalyn's fingers and looked deep into her eyes

He caressed Rosalyn's fingers and looked deep into her eyes. Alan could see the longing and sadness in her facial features. The more time he spent with her, the more intense his feelings for her became, which seemed to overwhelm him at the moment. For the first time, his mind went blank. He didn't know how he should continue to behave in her presence. He didn't really want to talk about something as banal as their future collaboration. They had been working together for almost two years now, so what was there to talk about? He would much rather speak about other topics, which he planned to do. The only thing that changed between them was that they wouldn't see each other every day in the future, since Rosalyn wouldn't be coming to his house. "Today I would like to clarify and conclude the tiresome subject with you once and for all, as I would rather talk about other things with you. I hope you haven't changed your mind and you'll continue to be my assistant, because I wouldn't bear not to see you anymore. It would be nice if you would start working for me again tomorrow, but of course the decision is ultimately yours." Waiting, he looked at Rosalyn. Slowly, he released her fingers so he wouldn't step too close to her. He hadn't been thinking at all when he touched her hand. It had been purely instinctive, but it didn't seem as if she had minded.

"I will continue to work for you, it's just a pity that we won't see each other so often anymore," she spoke out unintentionally honestly. "I will nevertheless keep my appointment with the agency tomorrow, as I don't want to cancel it. But after that, I'll take care of your concerns as soon as I get home. I'm afraid I won't be able to process your incoming post, as I don't have access to it."

"Yes I know, I've already noticed. I was putting the office together yesterday and sorting through the paperwork. It's no problem for me if you start later tomorrow. Just let me know as soon as you're done with your appointment." Wistfully, he thought about what would change in the future now that Alan finally admitted to himself that he felt more for her than was appropriate for a married man. But there was nothing he could do about his feelings. In truth, he had felt the bond with her for much longer, and it was developing rapidly and intensely right now. It frightened him and yet he enjoyed the deep feelings that were awakening in him.

Rosalyn smiled at him, leaning back in the comfy chair. "Well, if we've cleared that up. Is there anything else on your end?" she asked him thoughtfully, after all she knew about his trip to Paris. Actually, he was supposed to let her know so she could cancel the appointments for the coming weekend.

Alan now leaned back as well and put his hands in his lap. Slightly he tilted his head and looked at her questioningly. He wondered what he should say to her. "No, I can't think of anything right now. I'm looking forward to our meal. If I'm honest, all I'm thinking about is that it was a good idea to meet here with you. Now, let's finally taste the white wine. It's one of the best I know." He raised his glass and waited for his assistant to do likewise. "Here's to a lovely evening," he toasted her with their wine glass.

They both enjoyed the pleasantly cool wine, which tasted light and fruity. No sooner had they set down their glasses than the waiter entered the room, bringing a tray full of delicacies. Rosalyn looked over the wonderful food, it all looked so exquisite and fresh, no comparison to ordinary restaurant meals. During dinner, the two had a light conversation, talking about trivial matters and a few work-related ones. Alan did not lose a single sentence regarding the weekend trip.