16: revealed

Elodie was reading over her essay while she waited for James to come down from his dorm room, when Sirius came to sit with her. "Elodie Westwood, I have a bone to pick with you." Sirius spoke, sitting next to her on the sofa. She looked up at him curiously and put the paper down.

"What's up, Short King?" Sirius gawked at her, and Sirius snorted at her, not looking up from his book.

"First of all, I'm five foot nine, which I'll have you know is the average height for my age. Plus, James is five eight! So, shut up, you're five six. Also, since when did you know about James' little secret?"

"What secret?" She asked, incredibly confused. Sirius rolled him eyes at her, and reduced his voice to a whisper. "That we're animagi."

"You too?!" She shouted, shocked. "Next you're gonna tell me Remus is one too!"

"Well, that's a complicated one. Wait, you didn't know about me and Pete?"

"Peter's one too?? I only knew about James, what the fuck!" Sirius mumbled swears under his voice. "Well done, Pads. Told you it was a dumb idea." Remus chimed in, finally closing his book."

"And that's why you have those nicknames! Oh Merlin, it all makes sense now. Sirius, you have to tell me what you are. Are you something stupid like a dolphin? Oh, this is brilliant."

"Well, now you know. Pete's a rat, and I'm a dog. Because, I'm cool." Sirius bragged, much to Pete's annoyance because of course, after months of going through the process, he was a fucking rat.

"I nearly die once a month to an Owl, it's a nightmare." Peter sighed, and Remus raised an eyebrow at him. "You nearly die once a month? I wasn't aware you were the worst off out of the four of us."

"Wait, what's Remus?"

"Frog."
"Worm."
"Rabbit."

Elodie looked at the three boys suspiciously, the only one with a decent poker face being Remus. "Okay, I will ask you all about it later..." The conversation being cut short with James nearly tripping down the stairs on his cloak. "What did I miss? Is there a meeting I didn't know about?"

"Padfoot just spilled his and Peter's monthly endeavours." Remus said nonchalantly. James put his hands through his hair nervously. "Oh no, don't worry. Not the big one, just the not so big one."

"And I thought I was the little rat." Peter shot at Sirius.

"I thought she knew! She knew about James!" Sirius defending, throwing up his hands. James shook his head, and grabbed El's hand. She stood up with him and they made their way out of the Common Room.

"I can't believe you're all illegal creatures, this is absolutely bizarre even for you lot." Elodie joked, but he put his hand over her mouth. He pulled out a piece of parchment, whispering something as it started to reveal itself.

"What the hell is that?!" Elodie whispered, reading the text on the front quickly before he unfolded it. "You made a map? That tracks people- that's how you knew where I was that day me and Daniel studied."

Speak of the devil, Daniel heard her voice and grinned. He wasn't aware of James being right next to her. "El? Is that you?" Her heart dropped when she heard his voice, and she grabbed James' hand, who looked just as concerned as her, traces of anger on his face too.

If this fucker tries anything, I'll make it hurt more than last time. He thought. Daniel rounded the corner, but his smile immediately dropped when he saw James. "Oh." Was all he said, stuffing his hands in his pockets nervously. Elodie wonders what else happened that day for Daniel to seem so nervous around James Potter.

"Yes, oh. Was there something you needed, Reedsworth?" Daniel gulped and shook his head, scooting past to get into the Common Room.

"Mr Potter's words must've seriously freaked out Mr Reedsworth." The Fat Lady chimed in, fuelling the fire. "What? We paintings talk, there's not much else to do here." James shook his head, leading Elodie down the hundreds of staircases.

"What did you say to Daniel?"

"Told him if he even looked at you again, I wouldn't hold myself back next time. I also added in some, very brutal descriptions of what I'd do to him." James cleared his throat. "Don't even ask what I said, I was annoyed at him and it's not stuff I want to repeat. That's not me."

Elodie nodded, and left the conversation at that. If James didn't want to talk about it, he didn't have to. Besides, you don't tend to talk about how you threatened to kill a man with your date.

"Mr Potter." Gods, they were not having the best luck. The couple turned around to see Professor McGonagall looking at them expectantly. "I sure hope you two aren't thinking about sneaking out, especially at a time as late as this."

"We're just going to eat, Professor." Elodie smiled innocently enough to fool anyone who didn't have a built in lie detector in their brains. McGonagall sighed. "Hurry up, the Great Hall is inaccessible to students in 15 minutes. I'll be keeping a close eye on you two, so ensure you arrive at your proclaimed destination."

They turned around, James sighing. "There goes our plans, sorry Els. We can always go down and eat? There won't be many people downstairs." Elodie just smiled at him, assuring she didn't mind. And so the lovers made their way into the Great Hall.

"I promise you a Hogsmeade trip, alright? We'll go sometime this week."

"We don't have to James, honestly. I'm fine with going anywhere."

Five minutes later, James and Elodie found themselves having a debate over which meat was the best. "I'm telling you, gammon is disgusting. It's salty and gross."

"You're salty and gross! And I will not have you slandering gammon. I can't believe I'm saying this, but... we're breaking up, Elodie. I just can't deal with you talking so negatively about gammon." James faked a tear, finding it hard to not break character.

"Well, I've been cheating on you this whole time anyway! This whole time, I've been trying to win Lily's heart. She's my true love." Elodie shot out, and the two Hufflepuff girls let out a gasp of surprise.

"Yeah? Well, me and Severus have been hooking up for weeks now! So, I'm glad we're on the same page." The girls let out an even louder noise of shock, and that's when James turned around to them. "We're joking, I swear."

"Speak for yourself, Potter." Elodie continued, unable to hold back her laughter. "Shut up, they'll tell everyone that we're fighting!" James heartily laughed, his head falling on Elodie's shoulder as they both cried out of amusement.

"Attention students, the Great Hall is closing for the night, please return to your dormitories swiftly." Before Elodie could stand up, James swung her around so she was on his back. "You absolute idiot, put me down!" She giggled.

McGonagall watched them with adoration, remembering how it felt to love the way they did. She could not be more happy for James, finally finding someone who could love as strongly as him. And Elodie, for breaking out of the shell her parents' words had forced her into.

The two had come a long way, since first year. And they had a lot further to come when they left the school they had grown up in. She had no doubt in her mind that she'd see a little James and Elodie running around the building in the years to come.

She was dreading teaching their child. Absolutely dreading it, and she prayed to the Gods that they'd take after Elodie.

——————————
!AUTHORS NOTE!
i love writing fluff for them theyre so cute