Getting to know her.

After I had dropped Sarah off at her own house, I went to JB's house to see everyone asleep. I quietly walked closer and climbed into the only empty hammock which was besides JJ's. Right as I thought that it was safe and relaxed, I heard JJ whisper. "Where the hell have you been?" I smiled while looking up at the moon. "Nothing to worry about, big bro. Lets get some sleep." Apparently he agreed because I could hear him snoring in no time. I slept like I hadn't done in days that night.

We were on JB's boat, cruising on the water to the spot that was marked on the map. "All right, JJ. Pin it here." "Roger that! X marks the spot." "Alright ladies and gentlemen. To going full Kook."

JB gently dropped the drone into the water and then gave the rope to Kie to keep on lowering it while JB watched the little map on the electronical device. "All right, JJ, we're right over it. Ten seconds northwest." JJ was steering and did exactly as JB told him to. "One hundred feet." I was watching the camera together with pope while the drone kept sinking deeper and deeper. We then saw a shark and Pope jumped, making me snicker while JB immediately jumped to us. "Jeez B, calm your nipples." He mumbled something under his breath and went back to looking at the map thingy.

"And to quote The Hobbit, 'Down, down, to Goblin Town. Down, down, you go, my lad." I looked at him weirdly. "What? Never seen The Hobbit?" "No."

Everything went smoothly and acoording to plan up until about 400 feet deep when we heard thunder and Kie calling out that the tide was turning. "So much for calm after the storm."

"Hey JJ? Ten seconds easy. South-southeast." "Copy that!" JJ the captain. That's what he should become. A captain.

The wind was now picking up and none of us liked that. "JJ, 20 seconds mid-speed, all right? South." As the wind kept picking up, we began to sway. And Kie, JJ and JB started talking to each other. "Okay! 700 feet."

The thunder started rumbling louder and faster, some slight waves crashing into the boat. "Okay! 900 feet!" Almost there baby. Come on. "JJ, we'll turtle in this storm." "920!" "Crank it north by northwest! 10 seconds!" "Pope, AJ, how we doing?" We kept watching the camera in anticipation while the tension kept growing. "We're almost there." "There's too much current! We're gonna lose it!" No there's not. We can do this.

"South! Southwest JJ! Hard!" I know something else that could fo hard. (Sorry)

"Half speed. Steady at this bearing, JJ! What do you got, Pope and AJ? Come on, man. What do you see?" "Nothing yet man." "Okay, we should be right above it. Kiara!" "960. 970! 980!" JB, Pope and I were watching the camera in anticipation. "We're at the bottom!" "Okay, steady here, JJ!"

Everyone should stop yelling at each other when we're in tense situations cuz it for sure ain't helping. But everyone shut up fast when we saw the wreck of the Royal Merchant. Holy. Fucking. Shit.

I looked at Pope. "What did you say about fantasy?" We were happy for a short but sweet moment. We went through the wreck with the drone, only to find no gold. Nothing at all.

"Look, we can do another pass. Recharge the battery. We can- we can go back down." I shook my head and JJ spoke my thoughts out loud. "We've done it three times. There's nothing there." "Shut up!" "What? It's true!" I was getting a headache from this. "The gold could be buried. We don't know." I scratched my cheek and looked at her. "Kie? 400 million dollars worth of gold, all buried without a trace? That's a lot of gold we're talking about here." Everyone is stressed. "If it was there, it would have been found on the metal detector, okay? Somebody beat us to it." "Or it was never there."

This was a hard pill to swallow. But reality ain't always fun.

JB dropped me off at our house while JJ had to run an errand. I wasn't paying that much attention and entered the house. When I walked in, I saw a can of beer that wasn't there before. Fuck. I turned around and was met with a fist to the abdomen. I hurled over and he didn't stop with the punches. "You ungrateful piece of trash! You have a job, working for the Camerons and you throw it away like that? What's wrong with you!?"