6. who

They were always just a part of his history.

Every shared trip. Every eaten meal. Exchanged thoughts. Everything served some purpose, making them move ever closer to the events in which Kazuha was to prove pivotal.

Heizou never tried to deceive himself in this issue. The head of the falling down clan, an excellent swordsman, the wanderer with a calm personality and immaculate soul. Kazuha was a sun, around whom the whole world revolved. Everyone who met him immediately succumbed to the charms of a young, yet extremely mature man.

The ideal.

Heizou didn't know Tomo well. They were acquaintances, who would throw an empty "hey" when they saw each other in town. In fact, they really only shared a friendship with Kazuha. They only had a real conversation between them once, on the eve of the duel. At that time, they met under a large tree in the lower town, where Heizou sometimes sat, reflecting on his investigations.

"Finally! I was searching everywhere for you" the cheerful voice resounding over his head made Heizou flinch slightly. A moment later, a place near him wasn't empty. "I am lucky that I managed to come across you. I hope I don't bother you?"

Heizou had to raise his head high to meet the gaze of Tomo's sparkling violet eyes. A smile never left his face despite the uneasy atmosphere prevailing throughout the city, something Heizou could never understand. It was as if this one had made it a point of honor to infect everyone with optimism. Well, at that moment, the detective was not laughing. As a member of the Tenryou Commission, he didn't have to worry about repression or vision, but the lurking guards everywhere and the daily sight of unhappy people depressed him at every turn. And then along came this kind of Tomo, thinking that with a little joy he would solve all his problems.

Nonetheless, Heizou just shrugged his arms.

"I'm not doing anything special anyway" he lied. Actually, the newcomer had interrupted him to break his head over the murder case, but Kazuha had better not come here later demanding an explanation as to why his best friend had been brutally run down.

Tomo probably either believed or didn't really care what the answer might be, as he sat comfortably on the grass and fixed his gaze on the distance.

"You know, Heizou" he started, but his smile faded a little bit. "Our compatriots seem to lack belief in their strength."

His interlocutor raised one eyebrow. This man had just stated an obvious fact in a way as if he found it hard to believe.

"Well, they are just losing their visions, and with them their hopes, ambitions and strength. Are you still surprised that they have no faith?" At these words, Tomo merely squinted a little. He looked just like all criminals when they come up with another brilliant idea destined to end in their doom. "I don't know what you're thinking, but stop. Don't make our situation worse. When the Shogun sees us as enemies..." A shiver of horror ran down his spine. "You don't know her, but I do. I have seen her. She is a ruthless person. She will slaughter anyone who gets in her way."

But Tomo, even If he was concerned about it, didn't let it show at all. He turned back to Heizou and grabbed him by the shoulders.

"If someone dares to defy her, the rest will follow, won't they?" Hope was bubbling from his lips. He was still smiling, but his lavender-coloured eyes no longer showed that typical gleam of joy.

He was saying it seriously.

"Whoever would sign up for this would be a total lunatic" came from Heizou's mouth, who looked around anxiously to see if anyone could hear them. -"Listen, Tomo, you're asking for trouble. I don't know what came into your head, and frankly I don't want to know, but please, if you care about Kazuha's feelings, leave it alone."