7. dare

When you had stood by the law for years, a sudden change of sides comes frighteningly easily.

The darkness of the night was already dispersing the first rays of sunlight, not allowing Heizou to slow down. Gritting his teeth, he looked back every now and then. No one was chasing him. They were taking it easy. They don't know yet, they won't catch him.

He looked with disgust on the weapon, which he was pressing to his chest for the whole time. He couldn't lose it if he wants Kazuha to survive. It's comical how in order to keep someone alive, he had to resort to stealing the tool used to rip the last breath out of its victims.

He, Heizou, just stole the most powerful item in Inazuma! This Heizou, who promised that he would devote his life to serving order so that no one would suffer again! But when it came to Kazuha, when it came to the lives of innocent people, the law didn't matter, did it? Once Raiden Shogun finds out about the theft, he'll probably kill Heizou with the same sword the latter just held. At least he won't have to watch his person cover himself in disgrace. As people whisper among themselves that this wonderful detective, to whom they entrusted their worries and fears, turned out to be a brazen thief.

And yet there was something liberating about it all. He lifted his face towards the sky, towards the last stars, and thought that he had just broken one of the greatest guiding principles. It had happened, and he was no longer held by the rigid framework of decency. After all, he was now a criminal.

Although he ran towards Ritou, across the sands near the ocean border, he eventually ran into the grass, and when this was done, he started back towards Narukami Island. He left a false trail that was impossible not to fall for. It was always necessary to check the fugitive's tracks, in case the fugitive turned out not to be as clever as they think he is. And when it turned out that it would have been better to turn back after all, he would have been safely hidden for a long time.

The adrenaline finally wore off and left Heizou on at the mercy of his own fatigue. He stopped running, he was already just looking around in fear of running into any witnesses, be they guards or fishermen. Anyone seen with the divine sword in his hand would be a threat and a source of information for the archon's men searching for him.

In the forest, there was less chance of being spotted, but also more chance of not spotting someone himself. So he was already walking relatively slowly, concentrating on not leaving any footprints behind. He had time. It would be plenty of time before the guards realized they were following a false trail.

He recalled the doubts Ayaka had about the whole plan. As he discussed with her and Ayato in a small, secluded room, she would raise her objections now and then.

"Couldn't we arrange some festival quickly?" She proposed. "Or anything, as long as it is peaceful. Please, after all, this theft is madness..."

And that was good in this plan, and Heizou and Ayato knew it really well. They exchanged glances.

"Regardless of the consequences, we need to do it" her brother said. "Only the disappearance of that sword can throw Shogun off balance and fully revert her attention from Kazuha and Tomo. In the face of everything else, their issue will be her priority."

Ayaka didn't say anything anymore.

Now Heizou had different problems than Lady Kamisato's continued disapproval. He had to pass into the siblings' estate unnoticed, so that the guards could not testify against him. Although they were renowned for their loyalty, they could not be counted on to keep a secret in front of the electro archon himself. However, he could rely on the Ayato, who knows all corners in Kamisato Estate. Hiding behind bushes, he efficiently avoided patrols. The guards talked among themselves, only looking around once in a while. Not long before morning, their attention was at its most distracted. They had only had a few hours of sleep behind them and practically zero before. After all, who would expect an attack or a break-in at such an hour, moments before everyone starts to wake up?