C H A P T E R 6

(PICTURE OF RYAN HUDSON ABOVE)

C H A P T E R 6

"Tyler is going to ask me to the formal." Emmy announces. Dark clouds are rolling outside, it looks like rain is coming and a lot of it.

"And how can you be so sure of that." I ask as I reach into my book bag in search of my history binder. It isn't there, I must have left it in my locker again.

"Because he goes all jittery when he's around me and his friends keep nudging him." She states as if it is the most obvious answer. She has always been so sure of herself and I envy that. I only wish to have the sort of confidence that allows me to detect when a guy likes me.

Another gust of wind blows through the trees making the car slide slightly in the already damp road. The drizzle has started and Mom has the window wipers swishing back and forth across the windscreen.

"What time is that meeting tomorrow night Mom?" Emmy asks as Mom gets the car back into the middle of the lane.

"I'll have to leave sometime around 4:30 and I won't get back till late. Are you sure that you girls will be okay by yourselves?" Mom replies. She hates leaving us on our own, especially after dark. She always worries too much.

"We will be fine Mom." Emmy drawls. "I'm seventeen, not seven."

"Maya?" Mom calls back to where I'm sitting in the backseat of our car.

"I've got homework to do anyway, and if worst comes to worst we can always order pizza. You worry too much." I assure her, smiling at her green eyes in the rearview mirror.

"I know, I just don't like the idea of not being there if something went wrong." She smiles back sadly, the corners of her mouth just barely reaching her eyes.

We laps back into silence and I start humming along to whatever song is playing on the radio when suddenly it changes. I look up to see Emmy fiddling with the reception knob.

"Hey! I was listening to that." I complain but she ignores me.

"It's such an old song." She states and switches the station to one that is playing some new pop song.

"Emmy, change it back." I demand.

"Make me." She mocks. Though we usually we can get along pretty well, Mom says that when we fight it's like cats and dogs.

"Girls." Mom says sternly.

"But Mom!" I complain while Emmy smiles smugly in the front seat.

"The song is probably finished now anyway." She smirks.

"Emmy!"

There is a sudden flash of light coming from the headlights of the oncoming traffic. But something isn't right, they're too close.

I look at Emmy in the rearview mirror, seeing her eyes widen suddenly, her face turns white, and then the whole vehicle is filled with light. For a moment there is only the blinding beam and a high-pitched ringing in my ears as the world comes into bleary focus.

"Emmy!" I yelled again. "Mom?"

I can see blood coming from the side of Emmy's head, there's sparkling glass raining around us like snow and then I'm panicking. I haven't had a panic attack in over a year but suddenly I'm stuck. Tears are streaming down my cheeks, I can't move, I can't do anything to save her. Mom isn't moving, her head lolling back against the headrest. I feel totally useless.