C H A P T E R 2 2

C H A P T E R 2 2

"And that is why Fordman is one of the largest producers today." MK finishes before we take our seats and the next group moves to the front of the room to give their report.

"Thank goodness that's over." She whispers and I also release a sigh of relief.

"I can barely believe we finished the report in the first place." I laugh earnestly.

"You and me both. So, what are you doing after school?" She asks as the bell rings, signaling the end of the lesson and we pack our supplies to join the boys for lunch. 

"Probably hiding in my room. Apparently, Tate and I will be the only ones home until dinner tonight." I explain, a cold shiver running down my spine as I think of all the terrible things that could happen while no one else is around. I know that he is all bark and no bite and I'm sure he would never do anything to physically hurt me but he has a sharp tongue and that's almost worse. "So, it's pretty much keep a low profile and so I don't get my head bitten off."

"Sounds like fun." She laughs as we take our seats across from Noah and Ryan at our usual blue topped cafeteria table.

"What sounds like fun?" Noah asks curiously.

"Swimming with sharks." MK deadpans.

"Well, then I'm buying you a dictionary." He shakes his head ruefully, though I'm sure he knows she's pulling his leg.

"Why?" She asks in a confused tone.

"Because your definition of 'fun' is all kinds of wrong."

Ryan and I laugh as MK gives Noah a sarcastic punch in the arm.  It is good to see them back to their usual banter. I don't know whether they patched things up or not but it is an improvement.

"So, what were you actually talking about?" Ryan asks as I pick up my sandwich, I had brought one from home today, knowing better than to brave the cafeteria food on a Wednesday.

"Being stuck home alone with Tate," I mumble around my bite. I hate to complain to his brother because I know that they get along quite well but I also hope that he will understand where I'm coming from since he knows Tate so well. "I don't know why he hates me so much."

"He doesn't hate you." He tries to convince me. "In fact, I think he actually likes you. In his own roundabout way."

"Well, he has a funny way of showing it." I take a bit of my chicken and bacon sandwich as Ryan rolls his eyes. "So why aren't you coming home tonight?" I question.

"I'm going to Noah's. We have early football practice tomorrow and his house is closer to school. This way we can sleep in longer before we have to be on the field." He explains nodding at his friend and teammate.

"Oh, okay then," I reply, finishing my sandwich. I realize now that I had forgotten to get myself a drink and carefully excuse myself from the table. "I'll be back in a moment."

The others nod in acknowledgment and continue with a new topic of conversation as I leave the table and traipse across the lino floor, back to the lunch line.

I pay for a bottle of water and turn to head back to my table only to collide with Tara Montgomery's tray of Spaghetti and meatballs.

"You little..." She screams, gaining the attention of the entire room. "That was my lunch!"

"And this was my shirt.  Which for the record, your lunch has ruined." I shoot back, desperately trying to wipe some of the noodles and sauce off my front before the stain can spread any further.