C H A P T E R 3 6

C H A P T E R 3 6

I can hear the music from where we parked but by the time we reach the main event my ears are throbbing. There is a small bomb fire in the center of a large group of people. The head lights from about four cars being the only other source of light. I can see red solo cups already lying abandoned on the gravel and swarms of people moving to the music which is blearing from someone's car subs.

"There's a lot of people here." I comment but I have to say it twice before Alec actually hears me.

"Yeah, Toby's parties are always a hit. Most of the senior year comes and half the juniors as well." My date explains. "Come on, let's go find you a drink."

I try to protest as he pulls me towards the group but we are soon engulfed by the masses and I have to keep a tight grip on Alec's hand to avoid getting left behind. Once we reach the ice box he shoves a cup of brown liquid into my hand before cracking the top on a can from the chilly bin for himself. He downs it in quick, his Adam's apple bobbing as he swallows, before pulling another can of of the ice and cracking it open.

"I'm alright, thanks." I say, trying to put the cup back on the table.

"Hey, drink it." Alec say after he takes another a swig of his second beer. "It'll help you loosen up."

"Loosen up?" I question, glancing at the can in his fist. I really hope he is not going to be chugging the stuff down all night. I have heard horrible stories about drunk people, none of them I want to witness first hand.

"Yeah, you look a little tense." He continues putting the red cup back in my hand. "Come on Maya. I know this isn't really you're seen but I brought you here to have a good time. Try it, you might even like it."

I roll my eyes before taking his advice and lifting the red cup to my lips. I tip it back letting the liquid fall into my mouth. It burns my throat a bit as I swallow. I cough around the bitter taste as Alec laughs lightly beside me, patting my back carefully.

"Nope, I don't like it." I say to him.

"Don't worry, you get used to it." He says as he took another big swig from his can. "Come on let's go find the others."

"The others?" I ask as I follow him across the gravel.

"Yeah Toby's a mate of mine." He replies looking down at me briefly before scanning the crowd for his friend. He must spot him because he takes my hand again, leading me across the uneven ground towards the bomb fire.

"Alec, you made it." A tall brown haired boy calls as we approach he and those I assume are his group of friends. Alec lets go of my hand to greet the boy who I also assume is Toby.

"You've really out done yourself this time, mate." Alec says as he stands beside me.

"Ah it's nothing really." Toby says with a dismissive shrug before he indicates towards me. "I see you got yourself a friend."

"Yeah, this is Maya." He replies. "She's the one staying with the Hudsons'."

Toby's eyes widened slightly and he gives Alec a questioning look before nodding in approval. I smile at Toby, trying to be friendly and he smirks in reply. It's the sort of look that makes me think he knows something I do not. Once again I push these thoughts to the back of my mind, and trying to distract myself I take another mouthful of my drink, trying to keep a straight face as I swallow the vial liquid.

"A newbie too, I see." Toby comments with a laugh. Alec just rolls his eyes in response and throws his now empty beer can in a nearby plastic bin, taking another one from the outstretched hand of one of Toby's friends.