C H A P T E R 3 4

C H A P T E R 3 4

We hang around at the shelter for another hour or so, laughing and chatting about boring subjects that Alec somehow makes interesting. Eventually we decide that we should head back to school before football practice finishes.

"So, did I do alright?" He asks as we pull into the school parking lot.

"You did. I had a good time." I smile at him, leaning back against the seat cushions. "We might even have to do it again."

"Really?" He asks, his eyes lighting up as they widen.

"We'll have to see." I laugh.

"Well, it's just that there's this party on Friday and I was wondering if you wanted to come with me?" He rubs his hand against the back of his neck, glancing shyly down at the steering wheel.

"I'll have to ask Mrs Hudson," I say nervously, although I am not sure how I am supposed to bring up that subject with Marcia. "But I would be happy to go with you."

"Good." He affirms. "I'll see you later then."

"Ah, sure." I smile at him, collecting my bag from the backseat and sliding out of the vehicle. "Catch you later then."

Alec waves out the window as he restarts the engine and pulls out of the car park. I wave back then hitch my bag up into my shoulder and walk across the Tarmac towards the football pitch.

"You're back." MK says excitedly as I climb the stands and sit down beside her. "So how was it?"

"It was great. I had a really good time." I say, unable to keep the smile off my face.

"So can you tell me who it is yet?" She asks. "Pleeaase!"

"Not yet." I shake my head.

"Why not." She moans.

"I just want to be sure. I will tell you, I promise." I assure her. I will tell her eventually but not just yet.

"You better. I don't like being kept in the dark." She mumbles. I laugh lightly before looking down at the field were Noah was passing a ball back and forth with a the water boy whilst the rest of the team ran laps.

"Has he been doing that all afternoon?" I ask MK.

"Yeah, Coach doesn't want him overdoing himself. He thinks he could be back on the field for the end of the season as long as he listens to the doctors." She replies watching as well.

"That's gotta suck for Noah though."

"Yeah, it does. Football has always been a big part of his life." She agrees. "Even when we were younger he always convinced me to play one on one with him in the garden. I even played little league for a season."

"You two have done a lot together haven't you?"

"We were practically inseparable when we were younger. But since I moved back it's like he forgot it ever happened." She rests her face in her hands, her elbows leaning on her knees.

"You're getting there though." I try to convince her. "At least you talking to each other again."

"Yes, thanks to you." She looks up at me with a small smile tugging at her lips. "But when the only talking we do is arguing I can't say it really heals the old scars."

"I know." I agree sadly.

"Anyway, you changing the subject." She points an accusing finger at me. "So where did Mr Mysterious take you?"

I go on to tell her about the Café and the shelter, making sure to leave out any obvious details, such as Alec's mum running the shelter, that might given away who "Mr Mysterious" is. Fordman is a ridiculously small town and it would not surprise me if MK knows Alec somehow.