Suddenly Mortal - Part 2

At the same time that the two clerics, one possessed, the other too wrapped up in mundane concerns to heed the warnings of his Goddess, were talking aboard the Jules Verne, another two people were trying to bring another warning of the terrible danger facing Lirenna Gown.

     Jasper and Garnet had made the trip from the Ruby Keep to the city of Tara, just in case the Ship of Space returned to Tharia's universe, and now that it was here, with its two most senior crewmen already back in the city, the two gem raks were frantically trying to gain entry to Marshall House, anxious to gain an audience with either Strong or Saturn.

     The guards, summoned by the receptionist when they grew insistent, were just as determined to keep them out, however. There was no end of people who had some grievance or other with the Beltharan military command, and their only job was to turn them away. A job that they performed with tireless efficiency.

     "At least take a message, then!" pleaded Jasper desperately. "A young woman is going to die unless someone does something!"

     "Very well," said one of the guards with a sigh. "You say one of the clerics is an impostor?"

     "Yes!" agreed Garnet. "Daleen Verdantia, the cleric of Ramthara. The real Daleen is almost certainly dead. The person who's taken her place is quite insane and bent on killing Lirenna Gown, and that's exactly what she'll do unless she's stopped."

     "Very well, I'll go pass your message to Captain Strong, but that's all I can promise. It'll be up to him whether he does anything about it."

     "Keep an eye on them," he told the other guard as he left. "I'll be back in a couple of minutes."

     He was as good as his word and reappeared less than five minutes later. "Well?" demanded Jasper.

     "Captain Strong and the wizard Saturn Vasil Mon-Morchov are in a meeting," said the guard with forced patience, "but I've left word that your message is to be passed to them the moment they emerge. Now please go away."

     The two gem raks were deeply unhappy with this, though, and Jasper, catching Garnet's eye, nodded down to where he was hiding a wand up his sleeve. They'd discussed this earlier, whether they should just force their way in, putting to sleep everyone who stood in their way, until they found Strong or Saturn. Garnet had talked his colleague out of it, though, arguing that they would be overpowered long before they found either man and that they would end up in the cells. And there they would stay, helpless, while Lapis Lazuli murdered the demi shae. At the moment they were at least still free, and they might think of another way to pass on their warning.

     "How long will the meeting go on?" asked Jasper. "When will it be over?"

     "I have no idea," sighed the guard impatiently. "It might go on for hours."

     "We'll wait here," said Garnet firmly. "Perhaps you could check periodically to see whether they've emerged, or have the guard you passed our message to let us know."

     "If Captain Strong takes your warning seriously..."

     "He must!" cried Jasper frantically. "More rests on this than you can possibly imagine!"

     "If he takes it seriously," continued the guard, "no doubt he will want to speak with you, to find out more. He will no doubt send for you."

     "He'd better," said Jasper, pacing up and down in an attempt to steady his nerves. "If he doesn't..."

     Garnet took him aside in an attempt to calm him down. "Thank you for all you've done," he told the guard. "I appreciate the position you're in, but we'll stay here for a while."