Mekk - Part 4

The curtains began opening, and beyond them they saw revealed the huge statue of a man facing away from them. Strong stared curiously. He'd never seen or heard of any temple whose patron deity kept its back turned on its followers, but it began to make a horrible kind of sense when he saw that there was no far wall. Only an open space looking out across the plaza in which everyone living within a mile of the temple was gathered.

     It was the common people the statue was facing, while the nobles, the ruling classes, were arranged behind it on rising tiers of stands that made them clearly visible to the labourers. Strong couldn't see the statue's face from where he was, but from the stance of its body he could tell that it would be wearing a stern expression, that it would be looking down on the common people with anger and disapproval. The labourers would have to strive continually to earn the approval of such a God. They wouldn't get into heaven unless they literally dropped dead from exertion. He was a merciless taskmaster. Not a loving protector, thought Strong in disgust, but a ruthless slaveowner, and yet the labourers were gazing upon Him in frank and open adoration, like dogs staring lovingly at their master even though he whips them daily. A God that treats people like dogs.

     But not all people. Not the nobles. The nobles, being behind the statue, were not subject to that stern gaze, as the labourers could plainly see. As they were meant to see. It was an arrangement that clearly told the commoners that the nobles had a special relationship with Mekk, that they already had His approval and that their rule of the planet was pleasing to Him.

     Strong was baffled as to why the common people would put up with such a God. Why didn't they turn away from Him in disgust? Why didn't they follow another God instead, one who treated them better? Maybe they've got no choice, he thought. This temple lacked the smaller altars to other Gods that characterised Tharian temples. Maybe the ordinary people don't know that other Gods exist, or maybe Mekk is the only God this universe has, reigning supreme.

     That would explain a lot, thought Strong, and he couldn't imagine anything more terrible. One God, unchallenged and unopposed, able to do whatever He wanted without fear of consequences. Secure in His supremacy... He shuddered in horror and the beginnings of fear. Even the worst of the Tharian Gods had to watch what They did, aware that Their followers had a choice, that they might get fed up with Them and worship another God instead. He thought of Molrot, the awful God of disease and corruption. Skorvos, God of conquest and slaughter. Samara, God of destruction. Skeem, God of insanity. Plagues upon the face of Tharia whose followers wrought untold suffering upon their enemies, but their victims could always call upon other Gods to protect them. That didn't seem to be the case here. The people of Garus had no choice but to do what Mekk told them, which meant by extension what the nobles told them, and the slightest transgression would be rewarded with damnation.

     The harsh rules that governed the commoners didn't apply to the nobles, of course. They could do whatever they wanted, their places in heaven were assured. It was almost as if...

     Strong closed with Saturn as Child Corto led them down to the front row, positions of honour. "Saturn," he whispered. "Can you read Corto's mind?"

     The wizard glanced around to make sure there was no-one close enough to overhear. "Not at the moment. Too dangerous."

     "Do it anyway," the Captain told him. "I want to know whether he really believes in Mekk. I suspect Mekk's just an idol. Made up by the ruling classes to keep the working classes in line."

     "The same thought had occurred to me," admitted the wizard, and he fell silent as he concentrated. He began to answer, but more nobles were passing, on their way to their places, staring curiously at the Tharians as they went by. "Corto genuinely believes in Mekk," he said when it was safe again. "He's in awe of Him, but he feels no fear of Him. He believes he's led a life that will please Mekk."