Chapter Forty-Four - Finally Back Home

New Schedule:
TBS updates every Monday
and
TPL updates every Thursday!

I looked down at Alexa and smiled at her, she smiled right back but I couldn't shake off the feeling that something was off about her

I looked down at Alexa and smiled at her, she smiled right back but I couldn't shake off the feeling that something was off about her. It was not her usual bright-eyed smile full of life; it felt like she was just smiling at me for the sake of it.

I tugged at her hand that was in mine, "What's wrong?"

She pouted slightly, "Max is going away. I'm going to miss him."

Even listening to his name coming from her mouth twisted something inside of me. Violent emotions coursed through my veins faster than my blood. I had no one to blame for this but me, if I hadn't left them alone that human trafficker wouldn't have gotten hold of my family... my daughter, and Chloe.

I could hear Chloe's heels resounding against the shiny floor as she came closer to us, she took Alexa in her arms and smiled at me, "I'm gonna put her to bed," saying that, she didn't even wait for a second as they both disappeared into Alexa's room.

Before I could follow them, my phone vibrated in my pocket. I dragged it out and picked up Valentina's call.

"What?"

"Sir, would you mind stepping out of your apartment for a moment? I have something I need to tell you."

I glanced at Alexa's door, "Can't it wait?"

I needed to talk to Chloe. I needed to know why she was with him and where the hell is he going away. What was she planning? What the fuck was going on?  That man should be behind bars for what he did.

"No, sir, please, it's urgent."

I sighed before putting my phone back into my pocket. I made my way out of the apartment and saw Anders and Valentina right outside.

I raised an eyebrow, "What?"

They both glanced at one another before Valentina decided to speak up, "This morning when Ms. Jones left the apartment, she gave me a message. An important message that I was supposed to give you if she didn't make it back home until midnight."

My frown deepened, "What is it?"

"Sir, I apologize that I went through your stuff but I needed to know if it was true and..." she glanced at Anders who pulled out an envelope from his jacket and handed it to me.

I stared at it, the name of the hospital printed over it, "What is it?"

"It's better if you see it for yourself."

The envelope was already opened, I pulled it out and read its contents.

Name of the Child
(Alexa Jones)

Name of the Alleged Father
(Axel James King)

And then I read the bottom of the page...