014: crashing down

ARACELY: Everyone was just clearly stressed out, it was one big mess.

KAREN: I went back to the hotel and I slammed my door shut and I sat on the bed and I cried.

KAREN: Then I went to Graham's room and I knocked on the door.

GRAHAM: I understood why we couldn't have a baby. I did. But I felt so alone. In what I'd lost. I was the only one who felt like we'd lost something. I was the only one grieving. And I was mad at her about that.

KAREN: He answered the door and I stood there and I thought, Why did I come here? There was nothing I could say to him to fix anything.

GRAHAM: Why couldn't she see the future I saw?

KAREN: I said, "You don't understand me. You expect me to be someone I'm not."
And Graham said, "You never loved me the way I loved you." And both of those things were true.

GRAHAM: What could we do? How do you come back from that?

KAREN: I leaned into him and I pushed my body against his. He wouldn't hug me at first. He wouldn't put his arms around me. But then he did.

GRAHAM: She felt warm in my arms. But for some reason I remember her hands being cold. I don't know how long we stayed like that.

KAREN: Sometimes I wonder, if I was Graham, maybe I would have wanted a baby, too. If I knew someone else would raise it, someone else would let go of their own dreams, someone else would sacrifice and keep everything together while I went and did what I wanted and came back on weekends...maybe then I might want a baby, too. Although, I don't know. I'm still not sure that I would.

ARACELY: I was walking back to the hotel room when I bumped into Karen. She was clearly in distress. She looked to me and said 'How did you know you were meant to be a mom?' And I said, 'It's just a feeling. I can't really describe it, sometimes you just know.'

KAREN: I never had the feeling Aracely had, maybe it's a good thing I didn't become a mom. Even now, talking about him feels like poking a bruise.

GRAHAM: I knew when I went to bed that night, I couldn't be in a band with her.

KAREN: There was no way we could be around each other, day to day, anymore. Maybe stronger people could have. We couldn't.

BILLY: I sat down at the bar and I ordered a tequila neat. And it arrived. And I sat there and I picked it up and swirled it around and I sniffed it. And then two women came up to me, and asked me to sign autographs for them. Said they'd never seen anything like Daisy and me. I signed two cocktail napkins and pretty soon after, they left.

DAISY: It was the middle of the night when I got back to the hotel. I don't remember what I'd been doing. I just remember that I was avoiding Billy. I think I probably walked around the city or something. I was still plastered when I got back to the lobby. I was stuck out there, in the hallway. Unable to get into my room. And I slumped down on the ground and I started crying. I looked down the hall and I realized it was...well... out into the hallway comes Camila and she's holding Julia...

AUTHOR: Wait a minute.

Author's Note: While I have made a concerted effort to remove myself from the narrative, I have included here a verbatim transcript of one conversation I had with Daisy Jones because I am, in fact, the only one that can corroborate this essential piece of Daisy's story.

DAISY: Yeah.

AUTHOR: You were wearing a white dress.

DAISY: Yeah.