𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙊𝙣𝙚

𝒯𝒽𝑒 𝒢𝒶𝓊𝓃𝓉 𝒷𝒶𝓁𝓁

𝒯𝒽𝑒 𝒢𝒶𝓊𝓃𝓉 𝒷𝒶𝓁𝓁

Tightly gripping the mirror, as I exhaled deeply, my mother was tightening the strings of my corset, the strings were slipping tighter and tighter, as I felt the metal boning dig into my rib cage. The fabric was cutting into my skin, worsening the wounds already created by this corset. I glanced at her sinister face as she looked pretty content at her work. My lungs were failing me already, as the fabric was restricting my stomachs light movement.

"There," She smiled, as she went to grab the dress from the other side of the room. "Perfect, this is a new style from London, you shall be the belle of the ball!"

"Well women in London must have learnt not to breathe." I said breathlessly clutching my chest.

"Oh please Eira, none of your witty comments tonight, we have an alliance to make, guests to impress." She commented as she slipped the dress out of the pretty white box, decorated with a silver bow, it was a dark blue dress, with off the shoulder lace, it draped to the floor, with white lace trimmings at the bottom, I must admit it was a breathtaking.

"An alliance?" I wondered glancing at the silk fabric.

"Well yes, our situation is precarious," She placed the dress over me as it slotted over my figure. "You know the money's gone."

"Of course I know it's gone, you remind me everyday." I snapped at her, as she grabbed my arm turning me around, making me face at her stern glare.

"Your father has given us nothing but a legacy of bad debts hidden by a good name, that name is the only card we have to play," She declared, her gripping loosening on my forearm. "Our alliance with the Gaunt's shall ensure our survival."

I stared at her, her eyes full of hope. "How can you put this on my shoulders-"

"Why are you being so selfish?" She cut in.

I raised my eyebrow. "I'm being selfish? I am only 17 mother, you have Theo do you not?"

"Do you want me to become Seer? To see our fine things sold at aunction? Our memories scattered to the winds?" She turned around emotions getting the best of her, she put her wrinkled hand to her lips.

I deeply sighed, as I turned to the mirror. "This is so unfair..."

She turned around, our eyes meeting in the mirror. "Of course its unfair..." She swallowed before continuing. "We're women. Our choice's are never easy."

With that she tightened the fabric more before as it slowly clung to my waist as I glared at my exhausted reflection. My grip from the mirror did not weaken as I sighed, as she formed a bow with the remaining ribbon and disappeared downstairs.