Chapter One: The Strangeness of Crows

Eight Years Later

April 1851

                Deniah rushed to finish her chores in the early morning light. Mist was hanging low over the mountains and the heavy dew in the grass had the bottom of her skirts thoroughly soaked. Thankfully her papa and Matthew had taken the three hour trip to town and so she was alone at the cabin for the day; having lost her mother to fever six long years before. There would be no one to question her rush or her sudden urge to take a walk in the forest.

                Deniah had many small things to complete before she slipped into the woods to meet with Gray Skies. Her body was humming with excitement as she gathered the eggs from the chicken coop and dropped them into her hand-woven basket.

                It had been three long weeks since she had seen her dearest friend and she missed him terribly. She had awaken that morning and immediately dashed outside to check under the tiny rock beside the barn where Gray often left her messages. She had not received any from him for weeks and had been growing more worried with each passing sunset but finally a message had arrived! And to make the discovery even better was to read that he would be waiting for her at The Witching Tree at mid-morning!

                Deniah took the eggs for the day into the tiny three room cabin she shared with her father and brother. She laid her basket on the counter and tied back the plaid curtains on the kitchen window to allow a bit of the early morning sunlight, just burning through the fog, to come into the cabin.

                She swept all the dirt from the floor and climbed up into the loft to make her brother’s bed. Even at twenty years old, Matthew had trouble remembering to do even the simplest of chores around the house. Deniah didn’t mind however; as the woman of the house it was her job to keep things running smoothly and looking neat and she was happy to do it.

                With the sweeping done, Deniah focused her attention on readying a pie to bake for her brother and father for dessert that night. They would be tired when they returned home that evening after meeting with the tobacco buyer. Hopefully the man would give them good news about prices for the harvesting in the coming fall. While their family didn’t have huge fields, what little tobacco they did manage to grow and sell provided much of their income for the year.

                Blowing out a breath, Deniah glanced impatiently at the clock. Never had she noticed just how long her simple chores took to accomplish. Of course that was probably simply because she had never been so long without seeing Gray Skies and she missed him terribly.

                She began to pack them a picnic of leftover chicken and bread from the night before and thought about her best friend.

                After Gray Skies had saved her from the river all those years ago, Deniah had continued to sneak out as often as she could in hopes of seeing the Indian boy. She never knew what time she’d be able to get away and was surprised more than a few times when he just so happened to be waiting for her.

                When she would ask him how he’d known she was coming he would simply smile and say that he had not and that their meetings were purely coincidence.

                Gray Skies had been uneasy one night about five years ago when he’d found her wandering around The Witching Tree  and he had let her know that she could no longer wander about the woods in hopes he would show up. Instead he told her that he would leave her messages under the rock beside the barn on days he could come.

                Deniah had not asked how he knew about the rock. She had learned by then that her friend often knew things that he shouldn’t; such as when her mother had died.

                Deniah had been ten when the fever had come raging into their home and taken her mother away. After she was buried, John, Deniah’s father, had locked himself in his room. Unwilling, or unable, to be there for his children. Fourteen year old Matthew had become angry, saddled a horse and headed off for town. Ten year old Deniah had been all alone.

                Tears had been slipping down her cheeks as she’d pulled her warm knitted wrap around herself and walked onto the porch. Night had been falling and the fall air had been cool as the wind had blown against her skin.

                Then Deniah had seen the bird. It was a crow and it had been standing in the yard, staring at her so intensely that shivers washed down her spine. Instead of being afraid, Deniah had been intrigued. She’d walked down the porch steps, cooing gently to the creature, wondering just how close it would allow her to get.

                She’d nearly cried out with displeasure when the bird had taken flight and flown toward the woods. Then confusion filled her when it landed at the edge of the trees and watched her, as if waiting. As soon as Deniah drew close the crow repeated the action. Several times they had gone through this dance, leading them deeper and deeper into the forest. Then suddenly the crow had cawed loudly and flown out of sight.

                Deniah watched where the air where bird had disappeared into the forest for several long seconds. Feeling more alone than ever before, Deniah had pulled her wrap tighter around her tiny shoulders and burst into fresh tears and sobs.

                She’d been so caught up in her sorrow that she hadn’t heard the footsteps coming behind her. Two lean arms had wrapped tight around her and she’d been pulled back against a chest. Primal fear filled her and she nearly let out a scream before a hand clamed over her mouth.

                “I did not mean to startle you.”

                At the sound of Gray Skies voice, Deniah had cried harder, turned in his arms and buried herself against his buckskin clad chest. “She’s gone.. My mama’s gone…” she’d sobbed.

                All the while Gray Skies had held her patiently while stroking her hair.

                Deniah smiled as she found herself back in her kitchen with their picnic packed. Gray Skies had always been there anytime she’d needed him. She had asked him that night why he’d been there that night and he had simply shrugged his shoulders (so strong for a boy of fourteen) and stated that he had dreamt she would need him.

                Deniah checked the clock beside the door and realized it was nearly ten. No doubt, Gray Skies was already waiting for her!

                She grabbed the tiny basket of food and headed out the door, closing it behind her. She heard the cawing of a crow as she stepped of the porch and looked toward the barn to see it watching her. As soon as she looked its way, the creature spread its wings and flew away.

                Deniah shook her head. It was her experience that the crows around here very queer creatures indeed.