Chapter Twenty-Six: Judged By the Elders

                Deniah could scarcely breathe as she sat in Gray Skies teepee and looked down at her white knuckled hands holding tight to the crow totem that Big Sky had given to her.

                She was getting married to Gray Skies! She had been shocked when he had told Big Sky his wishes; shocked and elated. Gray Skies had been a part of her life for so long and he was her everything now; as essential to her survival as food, water and sunlight.

                Deniah still could hardly believe that Big Sky had agreed to perform the simple ceremony and while they would not get the giant feast or the large gathering with dancing, singing and joy around a fire as Gray Skies’ people celebrated their union, Deniah did not care. She only wanted to be Gray Skies wife and to stand beside him, vowing herself to him for the rest of her days.

                A throat cleared outside the teepee and Eagle Feather threw the flap back, “Are you ready?” he asked with a warm smile.

                Deniah nodded as she pushed herself to her feet, placed the totem in the pocket of her doeskin dress and fussed with her hair, “Do I look decent?” She wished she had an elegant gown to wear or someone to help her fix her hair. Suddenly a woman appeared, moving around Eagle Feather. She did not appear happy to be there and she had several crow feathers in her hands. They were as black as night and beautiful.

                “What are those for?” Deniah questioned.

                Instead of replying the Indian woman merely grunted. She was beautiful with a slim figure, long flowing black hair and strong features. Her dress was simple but it showed off just how feminine and lovely she was and the nearly white hide contrasted with her dark skin.

                “Willow Bark is here to fix your hair,” Eagle Feather replied. “On orders from Big Sky and she will do well to remember for whom she is doing this.”

                Willow Bark glared at Eagle Feather but then her gaze softened a bit and she motioned for Deniah to turn and drop to her knees. Deniah was quick to do that and then without a word, Willow Bark’s slender fingers began to quickly braid up her hair which had been loose.

                As she braided she hooked the feathers to several strands so they hung long from her braid. She tied the braid off with a leather strip and Deniah smiled gratefully, “Thank you,” she said in the language of Gray Skies’ people.

                Willow Bark seemed surprised and then shook her head, “I did it not for you,” Without another word the woman quickly strode from the teepee.              

                “Oh Eagle Feather, will no one here welcome me?”

                “I welcome you,” Eagle Feather held out his arm. “Now let us get you to your man before he paces a hole in the ground.

                “Was Running Deer very angry with you?” Deniah questioned, desperate for conversation to distract her from her nervousness as they left the teepee.

                “Yes. I am banned from using his horses for a long time. It is good I will not need to chase after you and Gray Skies any longer.”

                “Gray Skies does not seem to think we will be welcome to stay here once Big Sky is gone. He believes that the hatred that your people have for the pale skins will be too great and we will be forced to leave if we want to live with any kind of peace.”