Chapter Four: Crow Feathers and New Sensations

                Deniah did not step out of her room until dawn the next morning. She had not trusted being alone with Matthew, not after what he’d done outside. Matthew had stumbled down the wrong path in life around the time their mama had died. Deniah knew that if their father had intervened in the beginning Matthew probably could have been saved before it went too far, but John went a good year without actually seeing his children after losing his wife.

                Deniah missed her brother and pitied the man he had become. Just now, however,  she was angry enough at him to strike him if he dared to speak to her.

                She still could not believe that he had tried to strike her last night. Even more shocking was the reaction of her crow as it had attacked Matthew.

                Her crow…….

                Deniah’s heart broke as she remembered the sound of Matthew pulling that trigger and shooting the poor bird. It had gone into the woods but it had been obvious that the creature had been gravely wounded.

                Deniah could hear Matthew snoring loudly up in the loft as she slipped out of the cabin, wrapping a shawl around her shoulders to warn off the early morning chill and mist. Everything was shrouded in the thick dampness; blocking her view of the woods and mountains around her.

                Deniah walked barefoot across the wet grass to the river and then continued deeper into the woods, following the path her crow had taken. Her heart was hammering in her ribs and her stomach twisted n knots at the thought of finding the bird’s dead body but she knew she had to give him a proper burial if Matthew had indeed killed him.

                After all, the crow had died protecting her, as strange as that may seem.

                Deniah stooped and picked up a black feather from the forest floor, shaking as she clutched it to her breast. A tear slipped down her cheek as she glanced all around her. It was silly to be so upset over an animal but the crow was so much more than that to Deniah. He had been there so many times when Deniah had needed him and she had looked forward to seeing him as he had made an appearance nearly every single day for the last eight years…

                Deniah leaned against a tree, pressing her cheek to the rough bark as she sobbed and clutched that feather against her breast.

‘Hoooohoohoo’ Deniah’s head jerked up as she looked into the branches of a nearby tree and saw the owl watching her. A shiver ran down her back as she looked into its eyes and it stared right back. The owl was familiar…. Deniah recognized it as being the same owl from the river the day several days before.

Deniah was trembling as its big yellow eyes glared down at her; seeming to bore into her soul. She was about to turn and flee when two strong arms wrapped around her waist and pulled her into a broad, bare chest.

                Deniah did not panic. She knew Gray Skies’ arms when she saw them. Again she felt that strange sensation of heat work its way throughout her body, warming her from the inside out.

                Gray Skies waved one hand in the owl’s direction, starling the bird and causing it to fly off quickly into the forest. “Deniah, I do not like finding you in tears out here alone.” Gray Skies whispered, his warm breathe dancing across her ear and causing her to tremble. Her knees suddenly felt weak and Deniah clung to Gray Skies arms while wondering what these feelings were.