Chapter Eighteen: A Painful Past

Chapter Eighteen:  A Painful Past

                Two days. Matthew had been fully conscious and awake for two days and still he remembered nothing about the last four years. He had struggled to remember anything, even the smallest flicker of what his life had been, and it would not come.

                He was sitting on the porch in his wheelchair with his right leg propped out on a wooden sawhorse. It was midmorning and beautiful of course. The grass and the freshly bloomed trees were heavy with dew.  Jessica was out in the yard in that blue gingham dress with tiny white flowers covering it. She was hanging wet clothes on a line and casting glances and shy smiles his way every few minutes.

                Matthew had to admit that this memory loss would be harder to cope with if not for having such a pleasant nursemaid. She made his meals, helped him into his chair every morning and back into bed at night. Matthew had begged for whiskey the first night he’d been awake here to help him deal with the pain in his head and leg. Fred had simply shaken his head and gone to bed but Jessica had come into Matthew’s room once Fred was asleep and while she had refused to get him the whiskey he craved she had sat by his bed and read to him for hours.  

                Matthew had forgotten all about whiskey and pain as that soft, angelic voice had read him tales of journeys in far off places. He hadn’t even paid much attention to the words she said; instead he had gotten lost in the soft tones, the lilts, the gentle rhythms of her voice.

                She was an angel—he longed for her to be his angel.

                But then there was her father. Matthew heard his heavy footsteps behind him as the man stepped out onto the porch. “I sure hope you’re sitting out here taking in the scenery of the mountains and not anything else.” Fred warned.

                Matthew had gotten tired of the threats and warnings but he was used to them. His pa had loved using threats and warnings to get what he wanted. Now and then the man had beaten Matthew even after Matthew had obeyed him just to show the boy he could.

                “Yes sir.” Matthew mumbled. “The scenery around here is beautiful.”

                Jessica chose that moment to look up and grace him with another smile. Then she saw her father and quickly looked back down as a guilty blush colored her face and neck.

                Fred grunted. “Boy, I think it’s time you and I talk about something serious.”

                “I’m keeping my distance from your daughter, sir.”

                “No, not that. It’s something we probably should have told you sooner but after your episode the first time you woke up, I wanted to make sure you were a bit stronger before I told you,” Fred pulled off his glasses and began to clean them on his sleeve.

                Matthew felt a bit of unease wash over him. “What is it?”