Chapter Seven: Death Chants

Chapter Seven:

                Deniah folded her legs under herself as she sat curled upon the empty flour sack in the corner of the dark, damp cellar.

                She had no way of knowing how long she had been here. There were no windows, no source of light, to tell the night from the day. The tears had long since stopped flowing and now she simply waited.

                Her papa had tossed her down here and locked the door behind him when he had left, telling her he had business to tend to in town. Deniah didn’t know where Matthew was and honestly she hoped to never see that monster again.

                Matthew was no longer her brother. He was no longer the boy he had once been. Something evil lived inside his soulless eyes. Something that drove him to drink too much and be filled with rage. It caused to lash out at those weaker than him and murder innocent men…..

                Who was the man he had killed? It had to have been one of Gray Skies’ people. A cousin perhaps? Or a brother?

                Eyes that Deniah had thought were too dry to shed any more tears, quickly filled once again and her heartbreak poured down her face. How could Matthew have done what he had done? Poor Gray Skies….

                Deniah had caused that pain that had been in his dark brown eyes. If she had not met him, if she had not led her brother and father right to their special place, then no one would have pulled a trigger and no one would have died.

                Gray Skies would no doubt hate her now and she could not blame him. The look in his eyes had made it clear that his heart had been broken as he’d held that dying man in his arms.

                Deniah wrapped her arms tight around herself and buried her nose in her skirts to block out the musty smell from the corner. She’d had no choice but to relieve herself, as shameful and embarrassing as that was, because no one had answered her calls to be let out.

                What if something happened to them? What if she ended up stuck down in this cellar for days? There was food at least but surely she would go mad! Already the walls seemed to be growing closer with every passing hour. Would anyone come looking for her ever? Or would she simply remained locked down in this darkness and one day die of the madness that ate away at her brain?

                Her thoughts were suddenly interrupted by the sound of rattling chains. Deniah leapt to her feet as the cellar door was pulled open and her papa stepped down the staircase. He looked tired. His gray hair was a mess on his head, dark circles surrounded his eyes and his skin was drawn over his gaunt face.

                “You will go pack a bag and you will spend tonight at the Inn in town.” He stated without looking at her.  

                “But papa, why…?”