Before the clock Strikes Midnight

Quinn froze, maybe Finn was like a T-Rex. If you stood completely still maybe he couldn't see you. That proved to be wrong as Finn looked right into her eyes expectantly. She sighed and looked at the man apologetically.

"I- I- Don't know what to say" Quinn said pathetically. The least Finn deserved was an explanation and she couldn't even give him that.

"I may be slow some times, but I'm not stupid" Finn told her, Quinn shook her head at the man

"I don't think you're stupid, Finn" He nodded accepting the answer, but still looked at her for an explanation.

"I didn't want to hurt you. And neither did Rachel. And to be honest, I didn't really want anyone to know yet. I want to figure out how to tell Beth first." Quinn told him, hoping that would satisfy the tall man.

"I see the way you two look at each other. That's how I knew. If Rachel looked at me the way she looks at you we'd still be together" Finn told Quinn, glancing over at the singer who was now eyeing them. He didn't say it in a sad way, in fact it was as if he was congratulating Quinn.

"You're not mad?" Quinn questioned, honestly surprised.

"Nah" Finn waved off. "If Rach and I were meant to be, we would have worked out. We weren't exactly what was best for each other. We held each other back a lot." Quinn nodded that seemed like the general consensus of the group. "So don't let me hold you guys back, ok?" Quinn nodded thankful for the man's blessing

"Is Beth really the reason you didn't want to tell me?" Finn questioned, they were moving further and further away from the group.

"She's a big part of it, but mostly we didn't want to hurt you. To be honest though, you are the happiest I have ever seen you." Quinn told the man they slowly took steps further and further away from the group.

"Yeah, I am happy" Finn smiled "Can you keep a secret?" Quinn looked at the man confused, they were friends, but were the close enough to tell secrets to each other? She owed him to be at least be his confidant so she obliged.

"Yeah, of course" Quinn agreed.

"I signed up for the army" Finn said with a smile on his face. He looked genuinely happy to reveal this. "My dad, uh, he was in the army. He died. Not in the army though- but, I want, I want to make good on our name. So I enlisted" Quinn smiled genuinely at the man. She didn't know the man all that well, but he was no stranger. Her daughter did call him uncle after all. She was proud of him

Quinn, like most proud americans, took pride in supporting her troops. Forget about the politics of her government. She supported the men and women who put their lives on the line to fight for her country. It hit close to home because she too had lost a loved one who was in the military.

"That's fantastic Finn!" Quinn said wrapping the man in a hug.

"Thanks Quinn." Finn said bashfully. " I - I haven't told anyone yet" Finn scratched the back of his neck and looked around the backyard at all of his friends "Last time I almost enlisted it didn't go down well with everyone."

"What are you talking about? I'm sure they'll be proud of you." Quinn said looking over at the group of people that had become her friends.

"Maybe. I don't know." Finn said not so sure.

"Well, I think it's great" Quinn told the man honestly. She patted his arm reassuringly. "I had an uncle in the army. I really looked up to him growing up. I'm glad Beth can have an uncle she can look up to" Finn smiled his goofy grin at Quinn and looked over at Beth.

"That's awesome" Finn breathed, like this solidified his reasoning.

They headed back to the group both in good spirits. Quinn didn't feel bad taking a seat right next to Rachel. Rachel looked at her questioningly, but accepted it.