Chapter 32

On the eve before finally heading home for the summer, Aurelia was sat inside of Albus Dumbledore's office, twiddling her thumbs as she awaited the Headmaster, her eyes wandering around the colourful office which she'd never once set foot in. Fawkes, who she'd been introduced to when she'd first entered the room, stared at her with an odd look in his eyes as she patiently waited, before flying over to her, and landing on the arm of her chair.

They'd begun a small staring contest for the next ten minutes, until finally, the door opened once more, and Minerva and Albus had entered the room, followed by a tall, dark man Aurelia had never met before, as well as a shorter, blonde man, who bore a mechanical eye.

Aurelia was immediately both curious and terrified.

"She looks far too normal to be like most of those odd prophecy people," the blonde man growled out, his eye focusing in on Aurelia's. Aurelia froze as she felt every eye in the room turn on her, before Minerva gently rested her hands atop of the girl's shoulders, causing the blonde man to step away.

"She's the brightest witch of her year, rivalling both Lily Evans and Remus Lupin combined," Minerva defended, eyes darting between both of the new men in the office. The darker man hummed, before clasping his hands in front of him, and nodding his head toward Aurelia, a shimmer in his warm eyes.

"Kingsley Shacklebolt, Miss Hope. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance," the darker man said, smiling towards Aurelia with only kindness in his demeanour. The other man grumbled, before sending a curt nod towards Aurelia, the only sign of a 'hello' he'd offer.

"Alastor Moody. I have no time for such formalities."

Aurelia nodded slowly, before turning her attention towards her headmaster, who sat down with a slight groan on his chair, discarding his hat with a small flourish of his fingers. He looked older, Aurelia realised, then he had at the start of the year. And not physically; there was no doubt he was old physically. But something about his spirit, which was usually so juvenile and free, seemed dimmer now, like the light had been snuffed from him.

Something was taking a toll on the old wizard. As it was with Minerva, and even the two new guests, when Aurelia snuck a glance towards them. They all looked exhausted, as if sleeping draughts no longer worked, and Aurelia looked down to her lap, fiddling with her fingers as she realised, she too probably looked like them, after nights of reoccurring nightmares.

"Let's get this over and done with," Alastor grumbled, folding his arms as he looked at Aurelia with his eye whirring like mad. Aurelia flinched, causing Minerva to tighten her grip on the girl's shoulders in a reassuring manner, before she moved to take a seat on the chair beside the girl, ensuring she stayed close.

"Yes, Alastor, that would be wise," Albus said, eyeing his company through his crescent moon glasses. "But first, I think it would be best if we explain to Miss Hope here why we are gathered in my office at this time of night, don't you agree, Miss Hope?"

At that, all eyes trained in on Aurelia, and timidly she wanted, suddenly feeling a desire to have at least one of her friends with her. She'd been getting ready for bed, with Kira and Wendy nowhere to be seen, when a prefect of her house had knocked on her door, alerting her that the head of Gryffindor was waiting for her outside their tower.

She'd not been able to leave a note for her friends, as she'd been quickly walked towards the Headmaster's office, without a single reason or explanation.

"Well," Kingsley spoke up, his soft voice a comfort for the girl. "You've become quite popular amongst every Ministry department since word got out that Hogwarts had a muggle-born witch in their hospital wing who'd collapsed from her visions. Such powerful visions are ones the Ministry like to keep their eye on, Miss Hope, especially when such visions come true."

Aurelia went still.

She'd told Albus, Filius and Minerva of what she'd seen when she'd collapsed, whilst fighting back tears as every little detail of the replay of her vision flashed through her mind. Seeing a dead face was one thing, something most would been shaken from.

But nothing could erase the memory of seeing her parents, and the cold, frightened looks of her mother and father as they lay together on the tiled floor of the kitchen, as cloaked figures laughed and spat at their bodies, bearing masks like death itself.

"I offer my condolences, Aurelia," Kingsley continued softly, his dark eyes bearing their own sorrow. "Unfortunately, this trip was not made out of ideal circumstances. Aurors were sent to your home today, where two bodies were located, both hit with the killing curse. They were estimated to have been killed the day you collapsed."

"Though it was not an isolated attack at the time, the Ministry believes you to be on the radar of Voldemort now," Alastor interrupted, folding his arms with a grim look upon his scarred face.

"Voldemort?" Aurelia gasped quietly, her hands beginning to shake as the name revolved around her mind. With the revelation that her vision had come true still so fresh, her mind was scattered, unable to do anything but linger on Kingsley's condolences, and the idea with those few words, she'd suddenly become orphaned.

"You're a powerful witch, and an even more powerful seer," Alastor grumbled. "You pose a threat to his power, and he'll do anything it takes to kill you. Especially once you leave the grounds of Hogwarts."

"We have to discuss your options, Aurelia," Minerva said, finally speaking up after Kingsley and Alastor's rather dismal words. Aurelia nodded, numbly, and Minerva lay a wrinkled hand atop the girl's knee, trying to maintain her focus. Though Minerva knew the girl was about to grieve, even though the relationship between herself and her family had been strained, Aurelia's safety was now the top priority, even to some in the Ministry.

"What everyone is trying to say, my dear, is that you need to go home this summer to somewhere where you will be protected," Albus spoke up, resting against his large chair with his fingers pressed against each other. "You are, unfortunately, limited in options, however, it is ultimately your decision on where you wish to go."

As Aurelia went to open her mouth to ask about her options, she was interrupted.

"She's staying with me."