Jisung's Story: A Moment of Memoir

12 years ago

Jisung watched as his aunt Jisoo and grandma get in to a huge argument. His grandfather sympathetically watching them from far.

"Ma, I love him. I swear that we will be okay-"

"No Jisoo, he is nobody!" She lashed. "Are you trying to ruin our family status? Don't you have dignity at all? Don't you care for your family?!"

By now Jisoo was crying. Angry tears streaming down her face. "What are you saying ma...I love my family. Don't you understand how much I had sacrifice for this family?" She asked, her voice shacking. "I did everything you asked, yet you saw fault in me. What did I even deserve do be treated like this-"

"It's because you went behind all out backs! And decided to date that peasant-"

"He is not a peasant!" She screamed at her. "He is a man of principles with a big heart. He loves me for who I am! Unlike you who wants me to be artificial."

Something stricked in her eyes and in the next second Jisung's grandma's hand was colliding with Jisoo's cheek. She yelped falling on her knees. His grandpa looked away, couldn't watch as his family fall apart.

Unknowingly, the 8 year old Jisung was crying cause of the aurguement. He ran to his mother's room sobbing and hiccuping. She cradled him in her arms as he cried.

"Ma! Grandma is hitting aunt Jisoo." He wailed. "Do something, stop her! Grandma is hurting her!"

His mother swallowed a painful sob as she cradled him.

"Don't cry Hannie." She whispered. "Aunt Jisoo will be alright. It's just a little misunderstanding between her and grandma." Jisung nodded hugging her mother tight as she kissed his forehead. "Do you wanna go to the park? We can get ice cream."

Jisung nodded. Her mother rushed him to get dressed, desperate to get him out of this toxic household. Stepping out of her comfort zone, she saw Jisoo crying on the floor as her mother lash at her.

She wished she could help her sister but, unfortunately Jisoo decided to do this own her own.

◇ ◇ ◇

10 year ago

"Why are we here again?" Jisung questioned.

"New start, new life." His father sighed looking at the massive mansion infront of him.

Jisung sighed walking inside.

After his mother's death, him and his father decided to move away from Malaysia and settle down in Seol, his mother's childhood town. His previous house wasn't a suitable place to live anyway. His maternal grandmother was always nit picking on them. She even blamed his mother's death on his father.

Moreover, Jaeyong saw the sudden tragedy was mentally affecting Jisung, so he decided they have to start fresh. Somewhere, away from Jisung's mother's memories.

"Appa, do you think we will meet aunt Jisoo?"

Jaeyong shrugged, pouring himself and Jisung some orange juice. They have been unpacking for hours now. Both of them needed a rest.