Prologue- Oikawa's birthday

It was the summer term and Oikawa had planned a party for his birthday. He made all the plans and who was coming offering for everyone to bring a plus one.

Oikawa nervously fiddled with his finger as he stared at the texts that he sent Sugawara and saw he was left on read. He took a deep breath and stood up to continue setting up since the party was that evening. He knew Sugawara, Iwaizumi and Kiyoko had sorted other things so Oikawa just had to get the house ready. He jumped at his phone every time he heard it buzz sighing every time he saw it wasn't Sugawara. The nerves starting to build up in his stomach.

He got on with doing a few tasks hearing the doorbell go off so went over to open the door, sighing Iwaizumi so welcomed him in.

"Happy Birthday Shittykawa"

"Always with the vulgar names Iwa~Chan but thank you"

"I got you a little something-"

"You didn't have to!"

"Oi I've known you since we could walk, possibly longer than that. I'm not going to just leave you gift less on your birthday"

"Thank you Iwa~Chan! I'll put it on the gift table I set up"

Oikawa smiled and took it from his friend, giving him a hug chucking at Iwa's dismay.

"Oh Iwa, it won't kill you"

"Alright fine you can hug me"

The two broke apart from the hug as Oikawa heard his phone go off and went to check it placing the gift on the table as he passed. The setter sighed again, Iwaizumi walked over and gave him a gentle but harsh tap on the back.

"What's wrong?"

"I text Sugawara about admitting something to him but he's left me on read"

"He's probably busy 'Kawa, give him some time. You know he wouldn't do this purposefully"

"I guess"

"Right come on, I'll help you set up"

Oikawa went to speak sighing the phone buzz again so checked it seeing a response from Sugawara and a photo.

Suga: oh god oikawa sorry I didn't mean to leave you on Read, I accidentally opened the messages and then I've been so busy! Also Platinum says hi! And yes of course you can. Whatever it is get it off your chest

Oikawa sighed in relief as he replied to the message, chuckling softly

"Guess you were right Iwa, and you're stealing- you're making yourself toast okay then!"

"I got hungry-"

"Of course you did, anyway we should continue setting up"

"Alright let's do so"

~TIME SKIP~

The party had started and everyone had arrived. Oikawa walked around socialising with everyone, Spotting Sugawara and Kiyoko so walked over.

"suga I don't think having two alcoholic beverages is the best idea"

"Shh my dear friend it's a party"

Oikawa chuckled and took the drink off his grey haired friend. "Now I'll take that you are the worst drunk, I actually wanted to talk to you?"

"Oh yes of course"

Suga smiled softly "I'll see you in a bit then Kiyoko"

"Yep see you both and happy birthday Oikawa"

"Thank you Kiyoko!"

The two boys walked off, Oikawa took them to an empty hallway. Facing one another, oikawa's nerves returning as he fiddled with his fingers. Sugawara noticed this and placed his hands over Oikawa's.

"What's wrong Kawa?"

"It's just- um-"

"Take your time, Oikawa"

"Suga"

"Yea?"

"You're the prettiest guy I know and I was- well I wanted to ask you out"

"Oh- oh"

"..... I get if you don't feel the same"

Suga felt oikawa's hands tense in his own and stepped close to Oikawa, holding a soft smile.

"No no, I feel the same. I just didn't expect you to ask me out"

"Oh right-" the brunette left a soft chuckle escape his lips as he looked up meeting Suga's eyes "so then Koushi Sugawara, will you be my boyfriend?"

"Yes!"

Oikawa beamed as he brought Sugawara into a hug, burying his nose into the boy's shoulder as he lifted him slightly off the ground, the scent warn vanilla filling Oikawa's nose as he muttered into the boy's shoulder, placing him back down on the ground.

"Kawa?"

"Call me Tooru if you want"

"Alright, you can call me Koushi then"

"Mhm"

"Anyway I just wanted to say sorry again if I worried you by leaving you on read"

"No it's fine, really Iwaizumi helped me a lot come back to reality"

Suga smiled through it but couldn't help feel his gut drop, he knew it wasn't jealousy he got good and telling what he was feeling this way as well. It was something else.... Like something was going to happen and his gut was warning him. Suga ignored it as he listened to Oikawa.

"Plus he made me realise that you wouldn't ever purposely ignore me, I should have realised you were busy and accidentally opened the messages"

"I know but still you can never be entirely sure and you just need that reassurance from the person on the other side of the situation. But really I didn't mean to, I was going to text you after I mounted Platinum but he decided to be extra energetic"

"Ah I see, but thank you  for just reassuring me"

"No worries at all"

Oikawa smiled at Suga as he wrapped his arms around the boy.

"We should probably get back, the others will be wondering where the birthday boy went"

Oikawa nodded and held Suga's hand, feeling his heart drop when suga pulled away but nodded and smiled, reassuring him when the shorter of the two muttered a "not ready yet"

The group carried on with the part eventually getting to the gifts. Oikawa's expression showing exactly what he was thinking.