Chapter 4

Helen was driving down the road with Dash sitting next to her.

Helen: "Dash, this is the third time this year you've been sent to the office. We need to find a better outlet. A more constructive outlet."

Dash: "Maybe I could, if you'd let me go out for sports."

Helen: "Honey, you know why we can't do that."

Dash: "I promise I'll slow up. I'll only be the best by a tiny bit."

Helen: "Dashiell Robert Parr, you are an incredibly competitive boy. And a bit of a showoff. The last thing you need is temptation."

Dash: "You always say, Do your best. But you don't really mean it. Why can't I do the best that I can do?"

Helen: "Right now, honey, the world just wants us to fit in, and to fit in, we just gotta be like everybody else."

Dash: "Dad always said our powers were nothing to be ashamed of. Our powers made us special."

Helen: "Everyone's special, Dash."

Dash: "Which is another way of saying no one is."

Ralph and Vanellope were having a similar conversation in their car.

Ralph: "Hey kid, I know you and Dash are always wanting to have fun, but that back there just isn't acceptable."

Vanellope: "We've got nothing better to do. How can we entertain ourselves when we can't pursue our goals. He wants sports, I want racing."

Ralph: "I know, I know. Look, I would let you race, it's just, I'm scared that your glitching could cause a problem. Someone could freak out and, you know, they could take you away from me. I can't let that happen."

Vanellope: "Don't you want to live your dream again like me?"

Ralph: "Of course I do. I miss those days. But I'm happier with where I am now. I got you. I got a good job. I have friends around the neighborhood. What have I got to lose? Which reminds me, I'm going bowling with Bob and the guys tonight so I'll have Helen watch you later tonight."

Vanellope sighs. Meanwhile, at a junior high school, Violet, the daughter of Bob and Helen was standing outside the school with a neighborhood friend, Ian Lightfoot.

Ian: "Hey, thanks again for letting me ride home with you guys."

Violet: "I know Officer Bronco is busy and your Mom is out of town. How come Barley can't pick you up?

Ian: "Let's just say that he really needs to get his van fully repaired someday."

Violet: "Tell him to get a job then."

Ian: "Tried to. He said he's "too busy" with his wizard adventures."

Violet: "What adventures? He's always home."

The bell rings and a boy named Tony Rydinger walks outside. He's greeted by his friends. The two friends watch as he walks towards the street. Tony stops for a second and looks back. He sees Ian standing there.

Ian: "Hey Tony."

Tony: "Did you see anything?"

Ian: "See what?"

Tony: "Nothing. See you tomorrow."

Tony walks away.

Ian (whispers to Violet): "Okay, all clear."

Violet had turned invisible so Tony didn't see her. She smiles.

Violet: "He looked at me!"

Ian: "Why don't you talk to him?"