iii. spilled alcohol

THE COOL NIGHT AIR nipped harshly at my exposed skin, chill bumps arising all over my body. I should've brought a jacket. Currently, the seven of us were walking down the side walk, Tara and Sam ahead of us, arguing, and the rest of us lingering behind them, watching them argue. I pulled Ethan and Mindy closer to me for more warmth as we all came to a stop.

     "Tara, can you stop!" Sam shouted out to a fast walking Tara. It was clear she wanted as far away from her sister as possible right now. Tara huffed and turned to face Sam, her face twisted into anger.

"What?" She yelled back. "I cannot believe you actually did that! You embarrassed me!" Tara ran a hand over her face, shaking her head.

"Oh, come on Tara! That guy was a total dick, he was going to take advantage of you!" Sam exclaimed, tears welding her eyes at the thought of her sister being used.

The group stood quietly, watching the sisters fight with anxious faces. It was getting even colder, and I was wishing they would begin to wrap the fight up, or at least finish it in the apartment. Ethan had given me his hat to protect my face from the wind. Now I just look like a robot-fairy.

"So? If I want to hook up with an asshole that's my decision!" Tara hit her chest. "My decision," She stressed, fed up with Sam trying to control how she lives her own life. "Okay, Sam. Can you understand that?!"

"You don't understand where I'm coming from—"

"But it's not about you! I mean you leave my life for five years! Five years, Sam, and now you can't even leave me alone for five minutes." Ouch. Ethan's eyes went wide, and he turned to look at me.

"Damn, that was low," He whispered to me.

"It's true, though," I shrugged. Sam has no reason to be in Tara's business the way she is. I'm surprised Tara hadn't snapped on her way before now.

     "Because you're not dealing with what happened to us!" Sam leaned in closer to Tara's face. "Have you even gone to see the counselor once?"

     "No, I'm not going to!"

     "Why not?"

     "Because I'm uninterested in living in the past like you are!" Tara fumed. I bit down on my bottom lip, the air suddenly feeling thick. It became awkward fast, and I felt like we were listening in on something that should be handled privately.

     "What's that suppose to mean?" Sam shot back, hurt written all over her face.

     "Hey guys, co-" Chad tried to intervene only to get interrupted by Tara, who was far too caught up in her emotions to let the argument die. Chad pressed his lips together, turning his head.

     "It means I'm not going to let what happened to us for three days define the rest of my life." Tara stared at her sister in exhaustion.

     Sam rolled her eyes, "So you're just going to pretend it never happened?" This time, I was the one to roll my eyes. I love Sam, but she's being too clingy about this whole situation.

     "Hey, guys can we just drop this whole thing and go get some food?" I questioned, Ethan, Ankia and Mindy nodding their heads in agreement.

     "Good idea, Malia," Mindy breathed out, also feeling the tension.

     Tara shot us all a glare before turning back to her sister. "What are you doing here Sam? In New York?" I mean, y-you're working two shitty jobs to help with rent, whatever. But what's your plan?" Tara asked, to which all Sam did in response was scoff. She didn't have a plan. "I know what I'm going to do. Ok, cause-cause I'm going to keep going to college, I'm going to get my degree and I'm going to live my life." She exclaimed. "My life!"

     Sam only nodded.

     "You just follow me here and you won't let me outta your sight." Tara spoke more calmly now.

     Sam's bottom lip shook a moment before she pulled herself back together. "Just trying to look out for you."

     Tara scoffed lightly as she rubbed her fingers in between her eyes and down her face. "I know you are. You can't do it for the rest of my life, though; you have to let me go." Tara pointed in between the two of them.

     "Hey!" Some random girl shouted, making all of us turn our heads over to her and her group of friends. Suddenly, she threw her drink all over Sam, soaking her top. "Murder!" She accused. Everyone gasped at this, and I could feel my anger rise. All of her friends had their phones out, recording the interaction.

     Ethan pulled me back a bit, placing his body in front of mine slightly. I tried to get around him, but he wouldn't let me.

     "What the fuck is wrong with you, bitch?" Sam sneered, shoving the girl, but immediately getting pulled away by everyone. "You got a problem with me?!"

     I stepped on Ethan's toe slightly, giving myself just enough time to get around him as he let out a small "Ouch". The girl shifted her gaze onto me as I stormed up to her.

     "Oh, look, here's the other one!" She clapped while laughing at me. "We know you killed her, freak. Amber should've been the one to kill your sorry ass."

     Her words stunned me for a moment, my heart aching at the memory of killing my best friend. But, nothing can make me feel guilty for it. It's what Amber deserved. I gathered my thoughts again and snatched the cup of alcohol from one of the girls' hand.

     I poured the liquid straight on top of the girls head, the sticky substance running down her head and into her eyes. She screeched at this and went to lunge at me, but completely missed me as someone wrapped their arms around my waist and shielded me from her reach. I began to squirm in the persons arm, all of my anger from tonight suddenly needing to be let loose on this random bitch.

     "Malia, stop kicking me!" Ethan's voice flooded into my ears. I stopped as soon as I knew it was him and just let him carry me.

"You guys should stay away from them, they know what they did!" The girl pointed between Sam and I.

"We didn't fucking do anything!" Sam spat, still trying to get out of the grasp of Tara and Chad to get to the girl.

Ethan sat me down now, his arms still wrapped around me to prevent me from doing anything. "Go fuck yourself, cunt," My voice was scratchy and all of the sudden I was extremely thirsty.

She sent us a sarcastic smile as she and her friends began to walk away from us. "Sure, bitch," She dragged out.

"I'm so sick of this shit!" Sam cursed, and I nodded my head in agreement.

Ethan walked up to her, "Hey, I-I have some tissues, if you want tissues." He pulled a wad out of his pocket, making me shoot him a weird look. "I have like three tissues." He offered them to her.

Sam stared at him with a confused face, but took the tissues nonetheless. She began to wipe herself off as Ethan just stood there shyly watching her. She shot him a 'wtf' look as to why he was still standing there. Laughing quietly at his awkwardness, I looped my arm through his, pulling us away from Sam and catching up with the others. "Aren't you just the sweetest."

He blushed.

∙◦ OLIVIA'S OUTRO!
( next chapters going to
be sooo random lmfao
PLEASE HELP!: i'm going
to the 5/6 nashville show
of the eras tour and i need
opinions on what era to go as,
lover or 1989???! thanks )