iv. history repeating

THE SOUND OF POPCORN POPPING and That 70's Show floated throughout the apartment. I was in the kitchen waiting for all the bags of popcorn to be done, and Ethan was getting bowls from the cabinets. Mindy and Anika were sat on the couch in the living room, giggling to each other. Chad and Tara were in her room, doing God knows what. They've been getting little more close lately. Quinn and some random dude were in her room, and Sam had completely disappeared.

     The microwave buzzer went off and I opened it to get the last bag of popcorn out. The steam off the bag wafted onto my hand, making me hiss in pain. Ethan looked over at me out of concern and quickly took the bag from my hands, dropping it on the counter.

     "Thanks," I smiled at him, his doe eyes staring back at me, then momentarily flickering down to my lips. My eyes did the same to him, before we reconnected eye contact. What the fuck was that?

     "Y-Yeah, no problem," He responded, turning to face the popcorn and bowls again. I chuckled quietly, helping him begin to distribute the food. Ethan stood silent now, jumping a bit every time his arms brushed mine.

     Once we were done, Ethan and I walked into the living room where Mindy and Anika were now full blown making out. "Ew, get a fucking room!" I said, throwing a pillow at them, but Mindy caught it as they broke apart.

     "Oh, you're just jealous."

     "Yes, I am." I stuck my tongue out at her, taking a seat on the sofa. Ethan took a seat in the chair opposite of me.

     "You know, I think it's time you put yourself back out there, Malia," She spoke softly, trying not to trigger any past emotions, but she wasn't successful. My heart pounded at the thought of Wes and how he was no longer with me. He died in the hands of my best friend, all because she wanted to apart of something.

Ethan's eyebrows scrunched together at Mindys suggestion and my reaction, but it was Anika that was the one to ask what happened.

"Wait, what happened?"

"My best friend killed my boyfriend," I pressed my lips together, watching as her eyes grew wide. Ethan stayed emotionless, but when I looked over at him he gave me a sympathetic smile. "Oh well, it's over now. He's dead and she's rotting in hell."

"I'm sorry," Anika leaned over the armrest of the couch and squeezed my hand. I said a quiet thanks and turned my attention to the TV, my mood dampened.

"We'll be right back..." Mindy said after a few seconds of silence. She and Anika stood up and rushed to the bathroom, both of them in a fit of laughter the whole way there.

I could feel Ethan's eyes boring into the side of my head. I turned to look at him and he quickly looked away, clearing his throat. "Ethan."

Jumping a bit he responded, "Yeah?" He looked nervous for some reason.

"Come sit by me," I said, patting the open spot next to me. Ethan cautiously got up from his seat and made his way next to me, sitting down stiffly. "Ethan?"

He hummed, looking over at me.

I laid my head on his chest, positioning myself in the crook of his body to get comfortable. I felt him go stiff underneath me. "Is this okay?" I asked.

"Yeah. T-This is great." I smiled softly at his reply, shutting my eyes. Ethan's body began to relax and he threw an arm around my frame. He had taken his cardboard costume off when we arrived back to the apartment and I had changed into shorts and a sweatshirt that previously belonged to Wes. Now no weird fabric or item was in between our bodies from touching.