Chapter 6: Trust No One

Nestling into the cloud-like pillow was sheer bliss. I had no idea that such a rare gem was hiding in my collection of pillows. As I relaxed and felt more rejuvenated, I let out a deep and contented sigh, savouring the sensation of the luxurious, warm cotton bedding against my skin. Sleeping on an exceptionally soft mattress was a real treat. But as the haze of a peaceful slumber lifted, it suddenly hit me. My regular bed was more uncomfortable than a rock. In a flash, I opened my eyes to find myself in a spacious, plush bed that wasn't mine. Groggy from sleep and disoriented in an unfamiliar room, I hyperventilated.

Oh shit, I carelessly fell asleep in the Draculas' castle!

With a quickness that sprinters would envy, I got up or at least tried to. The sheets were so tangled in my legs that, with the graciousness of an elephant, I dropped to the floor with a bang, making the floor vibrate underneath me. After the initial pain of the fall lessened, I was ever so grateful that no one noticed my shame. With a sigh, I let my head rest on the cold wooden surface with relief.

"I have known many humans, be that as it may, you are the first to roll out of bed quite so literally."

Startled by the low chuckle, I looked up from the pile of sheets that enveloped me, only to find Lysander leaning on the doorway, trying hard not to give in to laughter yet smiling at my ridiculous situation. I moved groggily around like a beetle on its' back, trying to free myself from the cotton sheets. Thank God whoever put me to bed left my clothes on, creepy as that sounded.

Flushing with embarrassment, I stuttered, "w-what are you doing in my room?"

And why do you look so bloody well and put together in the morning?

"Technically, it is my room," lifting his light brows, Ly emphasised, reminding me that my cheek would not go unnoticed, "this is my house, after all."

"Fair point," I agreed and resumed my mission of entanglement. 

It didn't go well.

Lysander suppressed laughter with a cough, then came toward me and helped me free myself from the grasp of the evil cotton cacoon. He was far more efficient than my sleepy brain and managed to release the vice I was in with one pull. Then grabbing my elbow, Ly picked me up and set me on my feet effortlessly. His grip was light on my skin, although I saw the muscles on his forearms tense.

"Glad I can amuse you," I grumbled, annoyed that my misery was for his entertainment, but I couldn't help but give him a small smile. It felt only natural to do so. "Thank you," I added, not wanting to seem ungrateful.

"I am less amused than worried; that thump was heard even by the dead," Ly snickered, finding something about that wording humorous.

My cheeks burned with embarrassment. 

 I wasn't here even a full day and was already making a fool of myself. It must have been a national record. Before I could reply, my phone beeped in my pocket. Surprised, I glanced down and was still in the clothes I had on yesterday, and somehow the phone remained lodged in my pants pocket, not falling out while I was tossing and turning in my sleep. Turning my back on the vampire, I flipped my old phone open and saw Monique's unread message flashing on the small screen. She notified me that Jeremy felt slightly better and that he was very impatient for me to call him. I sighed and replied with a sincere thank you. I followed by texting Jeremy to let him know I would call him in the evening and not worry about me but focus on his health.

"Where am I anyway?" Wondering out loud, I needed to know if there was a time difference between my brother and me.

Ly turned around and looked me over with worry, "Are you sure you haven't hit your head when you fell?"