Chapter 18: Sins of the Father, Issues of the Son

Julius wouldn't gift me with a bite of a lover. He would punish me with pain, and the victory over Ly would be that much sweeter. Julius' icy breath hit my neck, making me want to shiver and move away with revulsion. My heart thumped so loudly in my chest that I felt the pulse behind my ears. Julius inclined his head toward my pulsing artery with his smile stretching sly. A victorious glint appeared in his eyes at the idea that he had finally triumphed over the mighty Varshawsky heir. The irony was that Ly was oblivious of his competitor, so much so that he didn't even know of the competition. I imagined Lys' beautiful face before me; his mouth was gently pressing against the tender skin of my neck, his hand grasping my hair and pulling my head to the side.

"I must confess, your blood is like a siren," Julius breathed into my ear. "It's calling to me."

Hopefully, it will lead you to your doom.

Kendra giggled like a psychotic crackpot, "Next time, you better not stand in my way, street rat." She was quickly shushed.

The violence of Julius' growl shook my body, "Shut up or get out; I do not need an audience or a cheer group."

As Julius' eyes shifted to Kendra, a feeling returned to my hands, and I could twitch with my digits. With an effort that was mammoth-like, I managed to sway backwards. The Stainless quickly caught on, and he mesmerised me back into a fossilized state with a flash of a green gaze.

"I need quiet," Julius snapped at Kendra while trying to control my body. "The lack of concentration will break the compulsion; her mind is especially obstinate."

Now that is very, very useful information.

I yelled in my mind: 'MOVE, RUN, SCREAM, MOVE, RUN, SCREAM!'.

Kendra sighed impatiently; however, her mouth remained shut the only time I needed her to be annoying. Unblinkingly, Julius stared into my eyes with a tenseness to his lips. He was struggling, and I continued to holler, adding an arsenal of all the foul words I could think of naming Julius. We were silently battling one another: me, his vampiric persuasion and Julius, my stubborn brain. Unfortunately, Julius won; his snicker of self-satisfaction stated my defeat. Then his gaze turned ravenous. Julius leaned in again, and I knew this was it; I had nothing to save myself. The pressure on the nape of my neck increased as he gripped so tightly it hurt. The sensation of dread doubled as I felt his fangs on my skin.

"You should have been mine," Julius proclaimed, and Kendra gave an insulted huff.

Loud commotion in the corridor outside made Julius halt his fangs from sinking into my tender flesh. Several people argued outside the door, and Kendra sighed as she anxiously glared at Julius.

"Get on with it," she hissed, disgruntled that her Stainless was so easily distracted.

The tight rigidity in my muscles softened, and I knew Julius' compulsion was disrupted with each loud sound erupting from the corridor.

Another loud bang sounded, and this time, Julius glanced over his shoulder. "The fuck's going on?" he grumbled.

The noises quieted, and I held my breath. Then the door burst with such force they flew right from its hinges, and with a crash, they bounced from the opposite wall, taking the painting with it to the floor. With Julius utterly confused, my compulsion broke and dashed toward the exit, trying to put as much distance between Julius and my neck as possible. A tall figure emerged through the doorframe, and when recognising the glowing green pupils rimmed by the yellow and violet circle, I raced forward. I collided with Lys' torso and hugged him tightly around the waist.