Chapter 7: Embracing a Vampire

After receiving that mysterious phone call, Ly was gone with the wind, nowhere to be found. I haven't caught a whiff of him for the next couple of days. Had I done something to upset Ly? Who knew. Was he even in the house? No idea. Sure, I was doing completely fine, exploring the place and getting lost in it more than once. G had to follow my voice to find me multiple times while I was muttering curses like, 'Fucking house, too big'. If this continues and my navigational skills remain abysmal, G and I shall soon start playing a different and more curse-word version of the Marco Polo Game.

It was my suspicion that G was also behind the mysterious appearance and disappearance of a food tray in front of my door. He became my Secret Butler Santa, delivering food so I wouldn't starve because I couldn't find the elevator again for the life of me. In the hope of finding some food, I managed to locate the kitchen. It was as impressive as the rest of the house and unnecessarily large for creatures that don't need to cook. Unfortunately, as Lysander said, the refrigerator was full of blood bags and nothing else. There wasn't even a forgotten mouldy carrot at the back, just stacks of iron-coloured-sloshy liquid sacks. That killed my appetite quickly that day. The absentee heir of the Varshawsky line hadn't bothered to show up and take me downstairs to the Camaraderie to eat. Or had provided me with a map.

If I could even read a map, that is the question, but it is unimportant. It is the thought that counts.

Ly hadn't bothered to check up on me at all or had a need to inquire if I was still breathing. His indifference stung me a bit. Although on the bright side, I had a few days to myself, which was good for me. Firstly, to ponder the supernatural existence in the world and try to accept it as the new reality. Secondly, to talk to Jeremy, who was getting happier and healthier with each day that passed, even though he missed me just as much as I missed him. And in such a fashion, several days passed.

One morning, however, I was woken up by a voice I wished never to hear again and to purge it from my ears as well as my memory.

"Get up; you have work to do," the voice barked the command.

Sleepily opening my eyes, I saw the devil's favourite demon glaring at me. "Angelica," I muttered a greeting, wanting this nightmare of a woman to disappear in a poof of smoke, letting me sleep just a bit longer. It would be heavenly to hope her presence here was just a bad dream.

But alas.

Angelica glared at me with agitation, "It is time for you to become a productive member of the Varshawsky line. Starting with a careful study of real history, not the human version, and The Varshawsky Lineage." She threw two fat and ancient Tomes on the coffee table, and I swear I saw a bit of dust leaving their pages as they hit the surface.

I tugged the covers to my chin, grasping them tightly in case she had an evil idea to yank them away. "Do I have a deadline, or can I just postpone the reading until I read all the other books on this planet?" My pleasant, slightly sarcastic question was not appreciated.

As Angelica angrily flared with her nostrils, I was reminded of her opposite. Ly would probably give me at least a smile. Stop thinking about him, Dess, don't think about his gorgeous smile and how his incredible eyes shine when he jokes.

Yeah, I am totally succeeding in not thinking of him.

"How about you read this, or I hide a big tarantula somewhere in your room. For all you know, I could put it already in your underwear drawer," Angelica smiled evilly, enjoying the mental image she drew in her mind.

It probably consisted of me bent over on the floor, dead from fright, with my mouth in a permanent state of horrified shrieking.

With that, the favourite minion of evil turned on her heels triumphantly, leaving me to wonder if she hadn't already hidden an enormous arachnid somewhere in my room. With that woman, who knew? She was most certainly capable of dumping a bucket of worms in my sock drawer just for laughs and giggles.