Threat

Reia, Lucius and Cyrus stared with dumbstruck expressions at the dead body in front of them.

"Dramatic much," Cyrus whispered under his breath, but it was clear that even he was conscient of the seriousness of the situation.

Suddenly remembering she was also there, the three of them looked at Laila, expecting to find her having a complete meltdown -which she was. However, what they didn't expect was that instead of one transparent figure there were two. Sam's ghost was tightly hugging Laila, who was crying with her head resting on her shoulder, hugging her mate back with desperation.

"It's ok now," Sam soothed her, gently patting her head with her hand. "I'm here with you now."

"Should we... Should we talk to them?" Lucius awkwardly asked, unsure of how to react. They really did not want to interrupt their emotional reunion, but they needed to question Sam about everything that had taken place and who she was referring to when she said someone was controlling her.

Cyrus was the first one to break the awkward silence, strutting over to the two embracing ghosts. "Alright, gross lovey dovey moment is over. We've got some questions," he said, sounding awfully arrogant.

"Cyrus, for fucks sake," Lucius sighed, finally having had enough of his friend's bullshit. "Have some basic human decency!"

"I'm not a human, fuckface," Cyrus snapped back, momentarily forgetting about the two extremely startled and confused ghosts behind him.

"Are they always like that?" Sam asked, staring at the two bickering vampires.

"Yes," both Reia and Laila answered at the same time.

The werewolf ghost chuckled, sitting down on the side of the road, Laila also joining her, taking her hand into hers. "Alright, you must have a lot of questions. We don't have much time left, so ask away," Sam said, expectantly looking up at Reia.

Their bodies were barely holding their shape, flickering in and out of existence. Now that they had reunited, neither of them had any reason to remain here in the world of the living, both of their souls being called to the other side, and they would soon have to leave.

"Tell me more about the person that did this to you," Reia simply said, believing that all the questions he had were included into that one.

Sam sighed, her warm brown eyes darkening at the memory of the person that had been controlling her for so long.

"I think they're the same person that killed Laila, now that I think about it. But I can't be 100% sure. Or, perhaps they know each other," she started explaining. "Laila was killed about 100 years ago. I wasn't there to protect her and since she is only human, she stood no chance against a vampire. I came home and found her bloodied corpse," a tear fell down her cheek and Laila quickly wrapped her arms around Sam in comfort. "After that, something inside me was broken. I had just lost the most precious person in my life. Of course I wanted revenge, but I had two problems: I didn't know who that vampire was and I wasn't strong enough to kill them either way. That's why, for a long time I did nothing. I just continued living, feeling empty without my Laila, but the anger just kept growing, and he must have known it. Recently, a powerful vampire approached me. But that's the funny thing: I know I saw his face, but I simply can't seem to remember it. It's like it was erased from my memory. He promised me power and revenge. It's like he knew exactly what I've been through and how to take advantage of it. He said that he'd help me kill the one that killed Laila, since he was also looking for that exact same person. Of course, being desperate to avenge Laila and bring justice with my own hands, I accepted his offer. First, I drank some of his blood. I instantly felt myself grow stronger, like his blood was power in the form of a liquid and I had just filled my body with it. Then, he drank some of my blood, saying that it was essential. That was when everything went downhill. The second he ingested my blood, my mind wasn't mine anymore. It was his. And a single thought was present in my brain. Kill," she finished talking, her body barely visible anymore.

Reia was paler than he was in the hospital, looking a little sick. His palms were sweaty and his heart was beating rapidly, but he still managed to choke out a Thank you right as the two ghosts completely disappeared, looking free and happy to finally be together again, and Reia couldn't help but wish he could disappear too.

"That's the fucker that bit us, right? The Biter, I mean. He has to be," Cyrus said from besides him, making Reia snap out of the trance he was into.

"I think so too," Lucius said. "The Biter is a powerful vampire, so his blood probably has the ability to turn other beings stronger. And I'm guessing that drinking their blood gives him the ability to control their minds," he continued, his explanation making a lot of sense.

"Yes," Reia managed to say. "It's The Biter."

"Why the fuck did he mess with that useless werewolf though? Till now he only killed humans and turned them into vampires," Cyrus wondered.

"Cyrus, please use your braincells for once," Lucius sighed.

"Don't got any," Cyrus half jokingly fought back, a wide, amused smile on his face.

"The Biter wants to create chaos and distract us from going to where he is," Lucius explained. "There have been a lot of killings and vampire attacks in the West, right? That's where he is. And right when we got word of it, we got called over to the East to deal with this mess, which was also created by him."

It was obvious that Cyrus wasn't listening anymore, messing with one of his handmade bombs with an excited look on his face, so Lucius simply sighed and looked over at Reia.

"You're right," he said. "He's probably doing something important in the West and he doesn't want us to interfere," Reia bitterly said, a dark look in his red and black eyes.

However, Reia also knew that The Biter probably had one more reason: he wanted them to see Laila's ghost and the chaos that was born because of her murder. This was a threat. And, as that thought was born in his mind, Reia couldn't help the lump forming in his throat.

To be continued...

BOOM! Double update, because I am currently experiencing symptoms of mental illness and writing is the only thing that distracts me from my rapidly crumbling sanity <3

If you liked this chapter, don't forget to vote it! :P