Chapter 1 - The Before

It was a chilly morning when I awoke to the sound of my little sister screaming. Tomorrow was the reaping and it would be her first time in it, I wouldn't allow her to put her name in for rations so she only had one in.

But that doesn't stop the nerves of getting picked.

And then going to your certain death.

All while the capital watched with amusement.

The capital is sick.

I smoothie back my little sisters hair softly, wiping her tears away with my other hand. "Shh... it's ok Annie it is ok.." I quietly usher my sister. Calming her down. "I thought.. I thought I was going to get picked. I thought I was going to die" Annie hugged herself softly rocking back and forth, sniffing softly.

"Don't worry Annabeth," only on rare occasions have I ever said Annie's full name. Only my mother ever said it. And now mothers gone. "The likelihood of you getting picked is close to nothing." I state calmly, Annie finally calmed down and laid back down on her bed. I kiss her head softly as I head out.

I walk towards the woods in the dawn morning and I picked my knifes, and bow out of my hiding spot in a willow trunk. I lay quietly in the bush looking at the animals that crept, swam, and swooped along.

I was never a killer at heart. I never cared to kill as much as possible whenever the chance arose.

But I could kill.

Whenever. Wherever.

When given the right motivation.

I breathed out softly as I pulled my drawstring back. The familiar feeling of the task I did everyday since I was 7 completely coming over me. I aimed carefully toward a rabbit.

And I shot.

Barely a thump was made from the poor creature. I didn't mind killing. I just chose not to. Me and my siblings usually never ate meat a lot, but since the reaping was tomorrow I thought we could. In hopes we get lucky enough not to get picked.

I pick up the rabbit from its hind quarters, and I carried it back to the small community.

Me and my siblings live in the district 10. The district of livestock. I know plenty about animals, all of us do. If need be I could herd the roughest bull in all of our district with ease. Even though it was a bit nicer than that of district 12, the coal mining district, it was all to different.

My parents both were dead. They died because they knew something and the peacemakers needed to make sure that that "something" wouldn't cause bad news.

My siblings and I have lived alone ever since, I have been raising my siblings since I was 7 years old, and I have proven to be responsible enough to many, that I was able to pick up jobs every once in a while.
Small ones like herding cattle, feeding chickens, picking crops from small gardens, stuff like that.

We were always resourceful and crafty so we were able, together, make by with the situation. We barely ate and we had no water other than the community well that was always murky. But we were happy, because we were together. Many would look at us like survivors, but we liked to think that we were just kids, rich ones like the ones in district 1 or maybe 2.

We liked to think that we were unstoppable, and powerful.

Just like those many victors from the two districts.

Strong.

Powerful.

Resourceful.

At least that's what we like to think.

I reach the little community I like to call home. I look down into the darkness of the well, the rabbits carcass swinging on my shoulder. I dropped the wooden bucket into the murky depths. There was a distant splash, and I started to pull the bucket up. My somewhat toned arms flexed softly as I pulled the water bucket up and over the well, carrying the bucket with two hands, I walked toward the smallest house on the street, entering.

I placed the bucket of water onto the table softly, and I rub my hand softly on my brow. Annie runes over hand-in-hand with her twin brother Alex they were giggling about something, most likely about the cranky old neighbor Mrs. Lesterton. Mrs. Lesterton always was busy in her garden, she was always elbows deep in another crop. The main disadvantage to having her as a Neighboor was that she tended to be an old coot and give sugar cubes to the twins.

Today was one of those days.

She only ever gave away sugar on special occasions, and because the reaping she probably gave it to half the kids on the block.

I smile softly toward the twins as they head outside to do their chores for the day. They were to finish their chores quick before they had to back in for curfew which was at 10:00 pm.

Anyone that failed to make it usually was punished.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I ring the rickety bell signaling for the kids to get back. They quickly hurried in, they always feared the peacemakers after what happened to our parents, so they always made sure to be on their good side and follow the rules.

I set out a vegetable stew. It was bland. And all you could taste was the cloudy well water, but I was better than nothing.

And for that they were grateful.

Hannah said a quiet grace with the twins and they "dug in." The twins were weird for their age. All because they followed rules and kept clean. Not many their age also did that. But that never bothered hannah in the slightest, she always loved that no matter what the twins behaved level headed.

Once they finished the stew they laid their silverware into the sink with a small splash. I would have to clean the dishes tomorrow after the reaping. I sigh softly at this thought.

I tuck the fidgety 12 year olds into bed, and after a story and two songs they finally fell asleep, and with a soft sigh I head to bed as well closing my eyes.

What is going to happen tomorrow? Will the twins be safe? Will I be safe? Most importantly who of the unlucky will be sent to their ultimate death along with 22 other unfortunate tributes.

Hannah thought this as she fell into an uneasy sleep of no dreams.

-1084 words-