Chapter 2 - The Reaping

I woke up at the crack of dawn. I usually woke early, but today it wasn't out of wanting to get the best catch. It was because I was terrified about what would happen at the reaping.

I quietly get out of bed. In fear I would wake the twins. I cook up the twins favorite all vegetable meal, and I cook up the rabbit from yesterday along with it. The twins came in with a severe case of bed head and I smile softly.

For a minute I wasn't scared.

For a minute everything felt alright.

But a minute can go by in a flash.

And the next thing I know the three of us were dressed and ready to go. Annie and I wore old light blue dresses that we got for free from a Neighboor. And Alex wore the nicest clothes he could find that would fit him. We had no Neighbors with a boy his size, so we couldn't get him proper clothes.

We started the walk to the square, many blinds were closed. And everyone was filing into the main square.

"Ok Annie, Alex stay in eachothers vision as best as possible and make sure to comfort the chosen victors if you can." Hannah said calmly trying to keep her composure as she fixed her siblings clothes.

They got in line to get their finger pricked and before Hannah knew it they were separated. The twins with the youngens and Hannah with the olderens. Hannah looked around at the square. It looked just that same as it had when she was twelve. The same bleached down stage, and the cows mooing in the posture. It was all the same.

A pale lady almost the same pale blue as the stage walked in front of the crowd. She wore a tiger print dress, her hair was dyed a dandelion yellow and her eyes a shade of green that seemed nearly impossible to have existed. The lady coughed into the mic with a twisted smile on her face.

She talked nonsense about the games, after she played the video that rolled every single year on the same rusty tv screen, that was only used during the reaping, the lady smiling crookedly. "Now for the deciding of the tribes, lady's first!" She said with a sickening sweet voice as her hand Russells through the hundreds of papers until she finally found one.

The one.

The one that would change the whole stories course of events.

The one name that would have deemed near impossible due to Hannah's knowledge.

"Annabeth Caddel"

Hannah looked around stunned to the point she didn't know what even happened next. Everything was in slow motion. Nothing could have prepared Hannah for this to happen. And especially not what happened next.

"I volunteer!" Hannah's voice cracked as she screamed to the tigress on stage. Hannah pushed past the peacemakers and hugged her little sister kneeling down toward her. "It's ok. It's all gonna be ok." Hannah whispered to Annie, as Hannah was pushed toward the pale image on the stage of a person. Hannah let's put a shaky breath as she pushed her hair behind her ears and she walked up the steps, her legs felt like they would collapse.

"Come on dear don't be shy." Claira stated toward the nervous wreck called a girl. Hannah stood beside claira, Hannah was shorter than claira by a few inches, but it didn't help that claira was wearing heels.

"Wasn't that wonderful?" Claire stated with a still sickening sweet voice. I glanced over the crowd slowly, I knew I must look like a wreck. "What is your name?" The tigress stated toward the girl. "Hannah... Hannah Caddel." I stated my mouth drier then it's ever been. I lick my chapped lips. "Im guessing that was your sister?" The lady said, as pale as ever. I nod slowly. "Isn't that exciting? A hand for mrs. Hannah Caddel." Not a single clap was rung throughout the entire plaza.

"Now for our male tribute." The tigress said awkwardly wanting to break the tension as she coughed dryly. She placed her hand into the bowl of names, swirling her hand through it and then she finally picked. "This years male tribute from district 10 is..." she unfolded the paper.

"Jeremy marinas"

No wave of shock or stutter went throughout the district. Not like when my sister was picked. A boy of about 6 foot stood there. He was lanky with a slight build to him. I had never really seen him around. Must be part of the richer side.

"Happy hunger games! And may the odds be ever in your favor."

I don't remember much of what happened after that, I only remember shaking the boys hand and then I was grabbed by a rough hand and shoved inside a room. I say in a chair as I waited for what happened next. What I didn't know was that it would break my heart in two just to see it. The twins came rushing in they were in tears and the peacemaker said I had three minutes. I kneeled down and wrapped my arms around their small shoulders. They were too small. They needed someone to watch them. But who? Maybe Mrs. Lesterton will help. She liked them. Yes she would that widow always love company. She was old but she would do.

I rest my chin on both of their heads. I whisper softly so that the peacemakers outside wouldn't hear. "You both are to stick together the whole time. Listen alex. The whole time. Go to Mrs. Lesterton immediately she will understand. You are to go and live with her. Don't disagree Annie." I look at both of the youngens, I hardened my gaze as the peacemakers came inside grabbing the twins. "Remember stick together!'" I yell at the kids as they are shoved away, and I was left alone. I had no one else so I sat back down. I had no tears, no feelings. Just numb. But that's good cause I don't wanna look weak. I must look strong to be taken serious. I already know I am a camera shot because I volunteered and from district 10.

I let a sigh and I look at the mirror. My hair was a bit messy, I look at my eyes. They weren't glassy or sad they looked... bored. Perfect. That's how they should. With my black eye and busted lip I looked strong. Stronger than I was. That was good too I would look more like competition.

The peacemakers barged in grabbing me roughly and they took me to the train. I looked at the tv screens the cameras were on me. I looked bored, and annoyed. But a good annoyed, one that made me look strong and fearless. That was good.

Jeremy came out as well, his eyes glassy and a tear down his cheek. He looked weak. But I didn't care that was better for me. Plus I don't know him. Why should I care?

We both board the train and we were seated in a car that I thought to be a kind of lounge car. The doors close and the train starts forward. I look toward the door as it slide open to reveal our coaches or whatever the word was.

"Hello my name is Arianna and this is Joseph. Together we will work together to get you both trained and ready for the games. I will work on your imagine and your sponsers. And Joseph will help with your training."

Arianna looked over the two, the boy looked terrified and weak. Arianna looked toward the girl she looked bored and annoyed, not at all scared. Maybe we will have a winner this year. Arianna thought before shaking the thought away and leaving the car. Leaving the tributes and Joseph alone in the bar car.

-1321 words-