Chapter 10

Hockey night. Me, Hannah, Rachel, my aunt Wendy and uncle Kevin were our way to go to Madison Square Garden Hockey Area to watch my nephew Joel playing the Watertown Pitbull's when suddenly, that black lizard caused more dangerous mischief in the city.

The five of us were walking towards a monorail station to take it to take it to the hockey arena.

"So do you think my nephew's team--the New York Kings--will win?" I asked my uncle Kevin, walking beside him while my aunt was walking ahead of us and my two cousins right behind.

"Oh yes, they've got to win this game. If they don't, then they'll have a smaller chance at getting into the playoffs".

"Are the playoffs—".

Before I could finish asking my question to my uncle, sudden loud gasps erupted from the large crowd of people just ahead of my extended, interrupting the conservation,

I looked up towards where they were staring at and realized why. The monorail train that was supposed to slow down at the station (we were going to) flew right by it, speeding away at a dangerously high speed. After feeling a tug from my purple cape in my pocket, slightly pulling me in the direction of the runaway monorail, I let out a soft sigh and quietly slipped away from the gathering crowd, before I stepped into s red telephone booth.

From there, I let the Ice Diamond Bracelet on my wrist turn my casual teenager outfit into my superhero costume and stepped back out onto the sidewalk. Immediately some people turned their heads in my direction, noticing that Manhattan's hero is back to save the day (again). I was about to shapeshift into a harpy eagle when suddenly my purple cape pulled me up high into the air, making me look like I could fly like Doctor Strange or Superman.

With the cape gripping me tightly on my shoulders, I started to fly fast in the direction of the zooming monorail train, while the crowds of citizens below me took photos and cheered me on, shouting out my hero name.

"Look! There's Miss Marvelous!!!"

"Go Marvel!".

"Save that runaway train!".

Within a few minutes of flying, me and my cape got a visual of the speeding monorail, managing to catch up to it. Landing on the metal roof, I looked up ahead of me and saw that the small black lizard was at the front, with it's scaly back to me.

That bastard's going down I thought, as I started to run at the reptile on the roof of the speeding monorail.

When I was only a few feet away from the creature, it instantly jerked its head up at me and hissed, turning its body to face me.

"Ready to lose against me, again?" scoffed the lizard, as it looked at me with gleaming violet eyes.

"I don't think I'll be the one losing this time, reptile" I said confidently, as I furrowed my eyebrows at it.

"We'll see about that" replied the black lizard with a devilish smile, before it reared up on its hind legs.

I ran full speed at the creature, throwing my arms forward and turned them into two purple octopus tentacles. The suction cups on them latched onto the lizard and whipping my arms to the left, I threw the reptile off the monorail so I could stop it in time.

But then I felt something small and fast hit my back hard, causing me to loose my balance and fall off, in front of the monorail. In midair, I twisted my body so my back would be facing away from the front and stuck my two tentacles on the edge of the roof of it, with my life now depending on them.

Whilr I was dangling down in front of the monorail, the black lizard stood above me, with a smirk on its face.

"Looks like I was right" he said, with a cackle of laughter.

It was about to slash at my octopus tentacles with its long nasty claws when randomly, my cellphone started to ring loudly.

I turned my right tentacle back into my human hand and held up my index finger at it.

"Excuse for me for a minute" I said politely, before I reached down and grabbed my phone out oy my sash pocket.

I quickly swiped my finger across the screen and answered it.

"Hello?".

"Uh, hi Vanessa,".

It was Mr.Cashol.

"I need your help; I'm stuck in my fish form again. Can you come over and help me?".

"Mr.Cashol, this is kind of a bad time right now, can you call me back in a few minutes?" I replied, glancing up at the black lizard to make sure he wasn't going to do anything me while I was talking on the phone.

"Yeah sure. I......What is that loud noise? Vanessa, where are you?".

"I'm hanging over the front of a speeding monorail, while fighting a black lizard in the middle of the city, where else would I be?" I said raising my voice over the loud wind noise in the background.

"Oh my gosh Vanessa, that's terrifying?!?! Are you okay???" asked Mr.Cashol, in a worried voice.

"Yes, I'm fine. But I would be better it you hang up so I can finish the fight".

"Oh right, do you-".

"Just text me your house address and I'll be there when I'm done my hero duties" replied, interrupting my science teacher so I could get the call over with.

"Yes, I will. Bye and good-".

Not wasting anymore time, I hung up on Mr.Cashol and turned my attention back to the black reptile. I looked up at the hissing creature if it was still in the same spot and it was, however, its gaze was focused on what was ahead of the monorail.

I turned my head to see what was coming and instantly felt my stomach do summersaults. Up ahead, was a brick tunnel with a gaping mouth of eternal darkness.

Then I noticed just to the left of the tunnel entrance, was a sign that said 'dead end'. My eyes went wide with terror as I swallowed hard.

That can't be good.

"Have fun being squished to death!!!".

I whipped my head around to look at the black lizard, but it leapt off the monorail and onto the top of the tunnel, before I plunged into complete darkness. Thankfully, there was some light coming out from inside the monorail, providing me enough light to see what I was going to do next.

Straining my focus on the monorail and myself, I used the magic from the ice diamond bracelet to form a light blue forcefield around it and myself.

Within minutes, we hit the end of the tunnel and I gripped onto the end as the monorail's forcefield hit the tunnel's end wall, bumping the electric train off of it. Once the monorail was still, the blue forcefield vanished and I jumped down safely onto the ground of the tunnel, before looking into the front cracked window.

"Is everyone okay?" I asked, peering inside the monorail assuming that there were passengers aboard.

Ahead of me, was two groups of passengers on either side of the electric train, gripping onto the seats or poles or whatever they can hold onto. They all stared back at me with fear and worry on their faces, wondering what will happen next.

After seeing that there weren't any serious injuries, I told the passengers that the threat was gone and that I would push the monorail out of the tunnel. Shapeshifting into a large brown, fuzzy American bison, I pressed my forehead and horns into the front of the monorail and began to push the one car towards the entrance, with each hoof step bringing us closer to safety.