Chapter 14

I let out a small groan as I regained consciousness, blinking my eyes open. A bright light was shining down on me and I tried to block it with my hand, but I couldn't move my arms at all. I lifted my head and scanned down my body with my brown eyes, noticing that I was trapped in hard black cocoon in my regular form, with my head and feet sticking out of it.

Oh no.

Then I looked to my right and saw Mr. Cashol laying next to me, who was thankfully awake in his merman form. When he made eye contact with me, he sighed with relief.

"Oh good, you're alive. I was starting to think that stupid reptile put you in a coma".

I glanced all around him and I in confusion.

"Where are we?" I asked, raising an eyebrow at the teacher.

"We're about forty feet above a large whale tank".

I turned my head to my right, to try to look below. Down below the mesh nylon net we were laying on, was a massive water tank filled with water, similar to one of those tanks they in Marine Land or SeaWorld to get their orcas to perform in. I swallowed hard as I spotted an eight-meter-long orca swimming around the tank, circling with its dorsal fin sticking out tall from the water.

This might not end well, I thought before I turned back to face the ceiling again.

"That's right. And there's no one to save you" cackled a loud male voice, that boomed above me and Mr. Cashol.

I looked up and squinted my eyes to see where the familiar voice was coming from, but the ceiling lights were making it impossible for me to spot the intruder. Unexpectedly, a thick rope was lowered down from a steel bridge, with the end of it hanging in between me and Cashol.

Then the sinister black salamander climbed the rope until it was three quarters of they way down, with a sinister grin on its face.

"What do you want with us?" asked Mr. Cashol, sternly.

The reptile's smile grew wider, before giving an answer.

"Nothing much; Just to get rid of this lousy hero. You're only with her because you interrupted our last battle, nosey teacher!" he spat, before flicking it's tongue out a few times.

"And why do you want to get rid of he? She's a good kid and a great hero" replied science teacher, turning his head over to me.

I couldn't help but smile back at him after the compliment he gave me. The lizard let out a sharp hiss.

"Because, she'll get in the way of-".

He suddenly stopped himself, before it narrowed its eyes at Mr. Cashol.

"Why do you want to know, deformed human?".

Mr. Cashol furrowed his eyebrows at the reptile.

"FYI, I'm not deformed. I just randomly got the ability to become a mythical creature. And second, I'm worried what you'll do with Manhattan".

"When I'm done with both of you, you'll be in a place where you don't have to worry anymore......heaven" snickered the lizard, before turning its head up towards the ceiling to look at another salamander of its kind, standing on the steel bridge that's above and in front of the mesh net.

He signaled his friend with a flick of its tail.

"Pull me back up".

As the other back salamander began to pulled him up, the black salamander turned his gaze back to me, with an evil smirk.

"By the way Vanessa, thanks for making a duplicate of yourself; she is very helpful".

I was about to reply back to the evil reptile when suddenly, the net under me and Mr. Cashol dropped, sending us both tumbling down towards the massive water tank. As we fell through the air, I managed to get a glimpse of the seated audience to my right, before I plunged into the water.

Water roared in my ears as I struggled to get my head back above the surface to take a fresh breath of air. Panic hit my body as I helplessly kick my feet as I continued to sink down to the bottom.

With most of my body trapped in a cocoon, I watched in fear as the surface of the water got further and further away from me.

Is this how I really die? I thought, as my lungs screamed for air.

I can't die like this.......it's not fair.....

I struggled to stay awake, but with the lack of oxygen in my body, I easily fell unconscious before I my body went limp and hit the bottom.