16

"Maggie, Cmon. Poor boy has been asking for you all day." Hannah Abbott noted as she poked at the blanket currently covering Magnolia.

She hadn't left her dorm since yesterday. Neville had asked around for her all morning and even knocked on the common room door a few times this afternoon. Magnolia's roommates felt bad for the Gryffindor, Susan even noted how romantic it was but Magnolia simply hummed at the statement.

"You're really not going to go to the party? You have that nice outfit Dean Thomas picked out and everything." Hannah noted.

Magnolia pulled the sheet down from her face to see the clothing hanging beside her bed. The fond memory of bonding with Dean warming her heart. It was quickly overcome with the feeling of nerves. She wasn't as upset at Neville and Dean as she was yesterday, yet something still felt off.

"Well we are going to dinner so—" Susan noted.

"See you when we get back." Hannah said as the two witches left the dorm.

Magnolia was flattered they wanted to help, she really was. But there was nothing the two could really do to help. A knock at the door pulled Magnolia from her thoughts and she let out a long sigh.

"I said I don't want to talk about—" the witch opened the door and felt her words fizzle out at the sight of Zacharias in front of her. He nervously fiddled with the hem of his jumper, not meeting her gaze.

"Zach?"

"Hi Maggie, I just— can I come in?"

Magnolia stepped aside, letting him walk into her dorm. Zach slumped himself into her desk chair while Magnolia sat on the edge of her bed, anticipating what Zach would say.

He didn't say anything right away, just fiddled with some trinkets on her desk while he sat silently. He let out a long sigh before speaking.
"So I heard Longbottom was looking for you."

"Yeah, guess not giving people space is a shared Gryffindor trait huh?" Magnolia replied with a dry chuckle.

Zach let out a soft laugh as well, thinking back to how Dean was just as relentless as Neville. He sat down the quill he was turning over in his hands, rubbing his palms on his pant legs nervously.

"Look, Mags, I didn't mean to screw things up for you and plant boy. I just— I don't know what's wrong with me honestly. I have this nasty habit of hurting everyone around me." He admitted as he bounced his leg up and down and picked at his jumper.
"I think we both have a habit of pushing people away when we need them, I don't want to see you continue that habit Magnolia. Neville cares more about you than I've ever seen anyone care about anyone."

Magnolia bit her lip nervously, she felt the same. She'd beat herself up forever if they never spoke again.

"Remember second year? When you found me crying in the bathroom and you told me everything would be alright, even though you weren't sure what was even wrong?" Zach noted.

Magnolia thought back to the memory. They were both so young and Magnolia had barely spoken to anyone at that point, but Zach was hurting and she couldn't leave him alone like that. She nodded at Zach's words.

"Michael outed me, he told his mates I was gay. I overheard them." Zach sniffled while he spoke. He used his sleeve to wipe his nose dry as he attempted to continue speaking.
"Rumors kept going around about Michael and me, so I shut down, I ignored him and everyone else hoping it would all go away. But it didn't, it didn't for Michael either. I guess I can't blame him for what he did to defend himself."

Zach looked back towards Magnolia whom watched him with a sympathetic expression. He let out an awkward cough, hoping to hide his emotions but not doing it well.
"What I'm trying to say, terribly, is that shutting everyone out doesn't help. It just makes things worse."

Magnolia looked down at her sock covered feet. Swinging them back and forth anxiously as she thought about what Zach had told her.
"Can you ever forgive me Zach? For breaking your trust?" She asked with a small voice.

Zach got up from the chair, sitting beside Magnolia and taking her hand in his, squeezing it tightly to comfort her and party himself.
"Of course Magnolia, there's not anything to forgive you for. I was being a toss pot, I let me feelings about Dean get in between our friendship. That wasn't fair to you."

Magnolia smiled up at him and Zach smiled down at her.
"So, this party."

"I'll go if you go." Magnolia offered.

Zach ticked his tongue, Magnolia Albero always had an effect on people. She never asked for anything, so when she did it felt as if you couldn't say no. Especially when she looked back at you with those pleading innocent die eyes.
"Fine!"

Magnolia shot up cheerfully jumping up and down. Clapping her hands in excitement. While Zach wondered what he got himself into.