19

Magnolia had dealt with drama before, honestly she's dealt with worse.

What she hadn't experienced was being a part of it.

The witch turned towards Neville and he looked right back at her. Their faces blank and expressionless until they both fall into a hysterical fit of laughter.

"Did that just happen?" She asked while trying to catch your breath.

"Yeah, it really did." Neville said with a wide grin.

The reality of what had just happened finally fell onto her shoulders, as she began re counting everything.
"Oh Merlin. I cant believe I said that to Malfoy." She sighed as she buried her face in her hands. "I can't believe Malfoy said that to you!"

Neville's smile quickly fell. Suddenly finding the ground more interesting than Magnolia's face. She noticed this, reaching out for his hands and taking them in hers.

"Neville- you don't have to talk about it, but know I'm always here if you do want to—"

Magnolia's speech was cut short by the feeling of Neville wrapping his arms around her and pulling her into a tight embrace. She melted at his touch, her arms finding their place around his torso as she pulled him closer and hurried her face into his chest.

¸.•'*¨'*•✿ 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊 ✿•*'¨*'•.¸

The Gryffindor party had slowed substantially by the time the two got back, with Dean and Seamus no where to be found.

"You aren't tired are you?" Neville asked.

Magnolia shook her head, a small smile creeping onto her lips. She wouldn't say it, but she really hoped the night wouldn't end.
"No way, I'm wide awake." She replied.

"Good." The Gryffindor stated before taking her hand in his and pulling her along with him through the empty castle. Their cheerful laughter bounced off the stone walls as they attempted to stay quiet.

Their pace finally slowed down after what felt like the most stairs Magnolia had ever climbed. Neville pushed open a final door revealing the castle rooftop, a spot Magnolia hadn't ever even heard of.

"How did you know this was here?" She asked as she approached the edge, taking in the gorgeous landscape.

Neville stood beside her, but his eyes were fixed on Magnolia's face. He loved the way her face would light up whenever she felt joy.
"That's an embarrassing story, are we on embarrassing story terms?" He questioned.

Magnolia laughed.
"I'm sorry, you believing I was a boy when we first met constitutes as an embarrassing story. It's only fair you make it even."

"Hey, I told you I cried when visiting my parents." Neville shot back.

"That doesn't count." She replied swiftly.

An awkward silence laid heavy in the air as the two remembered Malfoy's words. Magnolia still worried about how Neville was feeling about it but she was sure he'd talk about it when he was ready.

Neville cleared his throat with a cough, breaking the awkward quiet.
"I tried flying again. I failed first year and broke my arm. Second year didn't go any better." He explained.

Magnolia waited for him to finish the story but then it finally hit her. She looked around the roof and then back down towards the ground in front of her.
"How did you end up all the way up here?"

"I said up." Neville replied plainly with a shrug, causing the two to fall into a laughing fit.

A silence fell over them once more but this one was comforting rather than awkward. Neville played with Magnolia's bracelets on her wrist while she looked out at the night sky.

"What about your parents?" Neville asked, just above a whisper. Magnolia turned towards him, feeling smaller as they traded expressions so that he was now looked at her with sorrowful eyes.

She looked down at her beaded jewelry, as Neville twisted them around and made them click together.
"My mum fought in the first war and passed away, and my father he—"

"No, not your birth parents, you parents now."

Magnolia's eyes swiftly connected with Neville's. No one had ever asked her about her adoptive parents. People always romanticized the war and the people who lost their lives, it only made her more sad talking about it.

"No one ever asks that huh?" Neville added. "They all care about the exciting stuff right? Our parents laying down their lives for the greater good, how proud we must be.... I hate it. I wanna talk about now, or even what's next. That's what really matters. That's what would matter to our parents too." He explained.

When Neville met Magnolia's eyes he wasn't sure what to think, she had such an unreadable expression.
"I'm sorry, was that over the line?" He asked with his hands up.

Magnolia smiled and shook her head.
"No, quite the opposite. I've just never had someone get me before. Like really get me." She noted. They both stared back at one another, feeling comfort and warmth despite the cold wind.

"So, your parents?" Neville asked.

"Oh right." Magnolia chuckled.

The two spent the evening exchanging stories about growing up, plants, their respective houses. There wasn't a day moment in the conversation and both of them agreed they could go on for hours, but the sun tickled the horizon and sleep snuck up on them.

Neville decided to walk Magnolia back to Hufflepuff, hugging as they normally did, but this time it was different. As they parted, Neville couldn't help taste her lips one last time before saying goodbye. He leaned in and Magnolia quickly closed the space between them, letting his lips press against hers.

It was different from when they kissed at the party.

This time it was quick and careful. A comforting action that felt so natural to the two of them, a stranger could have guessed they are long time lovers.

With one last wave goodbye Magnolia entered her common room beaming from ear to ear. The sudden sound of snoring catches her off guard and when she turns to he couch she is met with the sight of Zach sleeping soundly on the couch and Michael sitting in the arm chair beside him.

"Uhm, hi." Michael stated when he noticed Magnolia.