Chapter 1 - A Will, A Way

"I, Eleazar Fig, being of sound mind and body, declare that this is my Last Will and Testament."

A room normally filled with bright, wide-eyed students, the Magical Theory classroom held a small gathering of dark-clothed witches and wizards, present to hear the contents of Professor Eleazar Fig's will. The grim day matched the grim audience; some cried, while some pretended to do so. Sitting on a stool in front of the podium was Professor Aegis Sharp, donning a more regal black suit in lieu of his usual potion-stained garb. As executor of Professor Fig's will, Professor Sharp had been reluctantly attending to this audience all morning.

Soon-to-be sixth year student Terra Hart awkwardly sat in the back of the classroom, staring despondently out the window. For once, her long dark hair was neatly pulled back, revealing dark eye circles and an unsettlingly paler complexion. She was exhausted, but present. Dressed in her Slytherin robes, she stuck out like a sore thumb against witches and wizards considerably older and more distinguished. Scholars in elegant attire, flaunting exotic fabrics adorned with embellishments sourced from less ethical means. Distant relatives in simple robes, loudly showcasing their grief between sobs and borrowed handkerchiefs.

Galleons, dress robes, silly trinkets. Magic tools, playthings, and work things. A rare 1691 chocolate frog misprint, followed by a Medal of Appreciation by the Ministry of Magic. All that's left of the long and illustrious life of Eleazar Fig was numbered off and redistributed to his network of friends, associates, and distant family members.

Unknown to most, Terra was the last person to see Professor Fig alive. The events that transpired around Ranrok and Victor Rookwood's fall were mostly classified. In practice, however, that meant the most ostentatious and insidious rumors, especially involving the newly transferred fifth year student, circulated like wildfire. While most of Hogwarts knew her incredible deeds and limitless kindness, in the barely lit classroom that cold day, no one present could trust that Terra deserved a place here.

A child who wielded an unknown magic, or possibly Dark Magic itself. Responsible for the deaths of countless goblins, poachers, and Ashwinders. A thief. A torturer. What's more, some rumors marked her as the sole cause for Professor Fig's death.

Professor Sharp cleared his throat, and directed attention at his student sitting in the back of class. Noticing the shift, the others in attendance followed suit.

"To my student, Terra Hart."

Caught off-guard, Terra snapped her head forward and accidentally met the chorus of curious and critical eyes.

Professor Sharp cleared his throat and continued. "Terra Hart, I bequeath a small portion of my fortune, and the entirety of my magical research. While I—"

A cacophony of anger and disgust erupted in the classroom. A number of indignant members shot up out of their seats, shouting protests at the top of their lungs.

"She is but a child!" one cried.

"The will's a fraud! This cannot be right!" another exclaimed.

A third spitefully suggested, "Wasn't she involved?"

It was a riot, but not one unexpected. Professor Fig was not your typical Magical Theory professor; his research was a treasure trove many coveted—even within the Ministry itself. And yet, only one student of great infamy was awarded such a prize.

Infuriated, witnessing witches and wizards older than him throwing a fit inside the classroom, Professor Sharp snapped. Pointing a wand to his throat, he sneered: "Sonorus."

Two words. That was all he needed.

"SIT. DOWN."

The room went still. Quiet enough to hear a house elf scrubbing the tile in the hall. Silent enough to hear hearts beating out of their own chests. Stares darted in all directions, not wanting to take the blame for the awful scene that just took place. As bodies shuffled into their seats, Terra forced her gaze onto a small notch in the wooden desk. While she had witnessed Professor Sharp angry, never had she seen him mad. As the last standee found his place into a chair, Professor Sharp satisfyingly set down his wand on the podium, and returned to the will.

"While I had hoped to watch your talent grow and flourish here at Hogwarts and beyond, it is my sincere hope that the research I leave will guide you now and throughout the rest of your days.

While the Wizarding world may never understand the tremendous service you have done for its community, I certainly do."

A few heads shifted to the side. A few more lowered in shame.

"It has been an honor and privilege to be your mentor, and—most importantly—your friend. Be strong. And thank you."

Terra lowered her gaze, balling her hands into fists. She wouldn't cry—not in front of these adults who just moments ago vilified her. But some tears did fall. Since the beginning, Professor Fig invested all his time and being into protecting her. She could never again reciprocate her gratitude, nor express how much she dearly missed him.

Especially in this room, crowded with suspicious thoughts and wicked stares, Terra had never felt more alone. This long, tenuous year did not leave time to process everything that had happened until now, and perhaps, all of it was finally catching up to her. In that moment, she wished she had her friends.

The remainder of the will reading flew by quickly. As the room emptied out, a fair number of passersby shared nods of sympathy at the young student. More chose not to hide their discontent. With the room cleared, only one approached her directly.

"Miss Hart."

"Hello, Professor."

Professor Sharp nodded and swung his cane to the front. Leaning forward, he advised her. "While I am sure you will keep Eleazar's texts well, in light of recent events, I ask you exercise some... restraint."

Memories of her fight against Ranrok quickly flashed in her mind. Followed by a quiet chuckle, Terra lifted her gaze and greeted his concern with a smirk. "Yes, Professor. Of course."

Professor Sharp knew that mischievous look well, but instead of lecturing his student further, let it be. He simply patted Terra's shoulder, and headed for the door. Before his exit, he waved one hand and added a last parting.

"Should you have any questions, you need only ask."

The classroom now deserted, Terra made her way up the stairs to Professor Fig's office. The room was warm as always, smelling of old parchment and mint tea. Surprisingly the charms to keep the fireplace going were still in effect. Terra's gaze swept across the countless books and papers strewn throughout the room – now hers alone to behold. At the desk, she slowly shuffled through a pile of unsent letters. Requests to the Ministry, correspondence with other Professors, hamlet gossip. Curious, she pocketed a few notes about Feldcroft.

At the bottom of the pile laid a single photograph. Terra picked it up and, noticing its contents immediately, grinned. A happy scene of a young Professor Fig and his wife Miriam, dancing around in a meadow. A picnic of strawberries and sandwiches with the crusts cut off. The two hugging each other tight. At the bottom, written in a delicate cursive, read "Me and Eleazar". It looked like Spring.

Tears finally flowed freely, where in that quiet yet comfortable room, she was safe. Terra whispered into the air, "Thank you, Professor Fig." With relief at last, it felt like an end to this long year.

Tossing. Turning. Stale concrete. Pierced screams. Green flames. A hand wretched around his heart, piercing its flesh, dragging it down into the abyss.

A harrowing, yet familiar voice cracked the air.

"YOU GOT AWAY WITH IT, BOY."

Sebastian jumped up in his bed, sweating and breathless. Dark. Did he scream again? His throat was sore; his vision blurred. He searched for water at his side table. He knew he was in his house, but it still did not feel right. As his eyes refocused, he turned to see Ominis already awake on the couch. Sebastian felt a tinge of guilt.

"I'm sorry."

A pause hanged in the air, before Ominis pulled the blanket back over himself.

"Don't be. You know I have them, too."

It was the beginning of summer.

To be continued...
Chapter 2 - A New Home.