Chapter 5 - Cracks in the Mask

"Reckless bastard! Could have gotten yourself killed-all of us killed."

"We were trying to protect you! But sure, I'm the one with the problem. Selfish bitch."

Ominis had held Terra back with all his strength as she tried to lunge at their mutual friend's throat. Sebastian had been yelling back at her incessantly, taunting her to "try it", before Professor Weasley dragged him out by the ear, wand pointed at his side. "Teenagers," Magnus sighed as he walked away from the Repository and all of its mess.

Terra was an absolute wreck. She almost bloodied her hands and killed two more people-from the Ministry no less. No longer able to see Sebastian's face, Terra's rage immediately shifted into tears. As she collapsed to her knees in shame, she fought through her still-panicked breaths to question Ominis who still held her. "How did you even find this place? I don't understand. I thought they were going to kill you, I-"

"I'm sorry, Terra. Shh. I am so, so sorry." On the ground, Ominis moved to hold her tight in his arms. He could feel tears wetting his shirt, as Terra buried her face into his chest. Her grief was a completely new expression he had never seen, but one he was so desperately trying to soothe, in between her hiccups and sobs. "We were following a lead, and it was suspicious enough. We didn't know. I am sorry."

Opposite the scene, Eris had been holding her hand over her mouth for dear life, trying to muffle her laughter at the complete riot between the two-three?-lovebirds. It was clear these three were close, but absolutely plagued with problems. Though now, she had a problem of her own to contend with, what with her carefully crafted persona now undone, and the near-catastrophe between Terra and Magnus. But despite all that, Eris could not help but laugh, emboldened by the chaos.

As Terra calmed down a bit, Eris came forward with her jacket in tow. "The reports were wrong. You're a rather competent witch."

"Thanks, I guess?" Terra's reddish eyes met Eris' with a great annoyance, but it did not phase the other one bit.

"At my age, you're just a kid. But when I was your age, I was probably just as dangerous." Eris flashed a true, perhaps devilish grin. Taking off her hat, she showcased her cheek's blast scar in plain sight, surprising Terra outright into a gasp. But there was also a strange relief, as Terra preferred to see this more honest Eris-perhaps the real one all along-than the cavalcade of false niceties at the start.

"Well, I was being sincere earlier. Do call me Eris, or Professor. Whatever works. The name Travers is a bloated one, and a last name I'd prefer staying last."

Eris placed her hat back neatly into place, and gave Terra an approving nod. "Let's have a proper conversation later. Cheers." Waving her hand back, she walked toward the Map Chamber, and left Terra and Ominis alone in front of the Repository.

----------

Magnus was beside himself in anxiety. Pacing back and forth in Eris' classroom, he unconsciously rubbed his chin and cheeks in thought.

Should I sit and wait?

Leave?

What should I write in this report? The truth?

So much went wrong in such a small amount of time. Thankfully the situation temporarily diffused through the loud boy taking a punch in the face, but it would not be the end of things. Hearing the clatter of Eris' heels against the hallway floor, Magnus mentally prepared himself for the difficult conversation ahead.

Eris revealed herself at the front of the door and leaned against its frame, folding her arms together. She sighed as she looked at the man in front of her, with a tremendous irritation. Magnus shook his head and placed his hands in his pockets.