Chapter 10 - The Lone Butterfly

Morning was already underway, as Ominis awoke sensing the difference of light. He felt the wooden floor underneath him, and a small draft from the door against his back, but otherwise he was warm.

"A blanket?"

He shifted his weight to lean on his side, grasping at the strange, still-warm blanket covering him. Realizing he fell asleep at the door after what seemed like an eternity of tears, he rubbed his sore eyes and let the silence of the room take in for a few moments. My wand? he questioned, hands fumbling to his side and around the floor for his trusty companion. But instead, he lightly grazed a warm hand that laid next to him.

The touch stunned him briefly, before he realized such softness was Terra. Only Terra. Ah, she placed the blanket on me. All the sadness, anxiety, and troubles that overwhelmed him from the night prior abated briefly. Of all the things, instead of staying on the cozy sofa or moving to her bed, Terra stayed next to him on the floor.

Such a silly girl, he thought happily.

As he moved to a more comfortable position, underneath his thigh he found his wand. Taking hold of it, Ominis let his wand amplify his senses of the room. Terra was laying face-down on a cushion she brought from the sofa. He carefully touched her shoulder to see if she would stir. Still asleep, "Puffy, eat your snack..." she mumbled.

Ominis tried to muffle his chuckles as best he could, allowing a wide smile to build on his face. Feeding beasts in her sleep, I suppose. She was close, laying right next to him and dreaming so calmly. In contrast, his heart was singing over such proximity, ever more so as he let his hand lightly graze hers. But as kind thoughts tried to permeate his consciousness, so did an unsettling one, as he thought of Sebastian.

Echoes of his visit to Terra yesterday replayed in his mind. He did not mean to eavesdrop, and instead was waiting for a natural pause to join in. But as the conversation turned serious, he could not dare interfere. It all sounded like progress; Sebastian finally divulged many of his troubled thoughts that he held tightly to himself. Sure, Ominis felt pained that it was shared with Terra first instead of him, but at the very least the discussion was being made.

But when things quieted, and the sounds of their kiss reverberated through his wand... Ominis had sped back to the house in anger. In shame. Though last night's tears relaxed much of the twisted pain inside, it left him with more self-reflection.

Am I still angry?
Is it right to resent Sebastian for indulging in his feelings?
For being... first?

Perhaps he was the fool. After all, Terra did reciprocate Sebastian's act. Yet at the same time, he could not dismiss how much Terra had become his savior—his rock. He wondered how things would have panned out, had he not delayed his confession. Had he mustered the courage early enough. Or...

His thoughts raced even more. What did she think of all of this? Did she like him? Or did she like Sebastian? Was there any reason to fret yet? A kiss is a kiss. She had too much on her mind now to be in a relationship, right?

Would this break the three of us apart?

In the quiet, he heard her soft breathing and concentrated on it, letting his nerves soothe. All he wanted... all Ominis wanted right now was a moment's rest. To enjoy this moment, instead of dwelling on what happened and what could happen. He laid back down and took Terra's hand, sliding his fingers carefully in-between hers, and closed his eyes. He settled: all of this can wait until later.

It was okay if he slept. It was okay if he dreamed again. For now, this was enough.

-----