Chapter 4 - False Introductions

"Despite all the magic in the world, treasures across the region are quite unsecured. Think I've pilfered all of them by now."

Terra's basement was protected with an obscene number of enchantments and traps, many thanks to research left over by Professor Fig. Protection charms, enchanted armor, and even chomping cabbages. (Her favorite.) The basement door was even triple-jinxed to instantly hogtie, mute, and bind any intruder from using Alohomora. Ominis felt the latter excessive; Sebastian just found it funny.

The two boys joined Terra early in the morning to traverse through the basement into the Undercroft. Even if the door only goes one way, it was undeniably a very convenient and secretive way to get into Hogwarts. "If you finish before I do, meet me in Hogsmeade," Terra reminded the two while checking on her personal belongings.

Wand? Check. Repository wand? Check. Good to go.

"Don't worry about us! We have a quest to complete." Sebastian kept mum the details from Terra, but he was rather enthusiastic today, carrying such a hefty bag on his back.

"It is not us we are worried about, but you," Ominis said with great concern. "Please, be safe. People from the Ministry are not normally... forthcoming with their intentions. Or at least, not to the Gaunts." Terra nodded her head in agreement. While most of her interactions with Ministry personnel have been mostly amicable, meeting face-to-face with a family member of one you indiscriminately killed was an unexpected entanglement. "I'll be safe," Terra said assuringly, giving her best efforts at a confident expression.

As the three walked through the magical pathway to the Undercroft, Sebastian leaned into Ominis' ear and whispered mockingly, "Be safe..." Agitated, Ominis returned the gesture by jabbing his wand lightly at Sebastian's kidney. "Ow! Hurt."

-----

"Wand? Check. Hat? Check. Jacket? Jacket... Magnus, where is my jacket?"

Minutes before noon, Eris and Magnus were preparing themselves in the Magical Theory classroom. The former was scrambling to tidy up the room, hastily waving her wand to clean up half-read books and dust nearby trinkets. The latter sat against a desk with arms folded, nonchalantly watching his companion sweep the room.

"It's on the railing, where you left it." Magnus pointed at the balcony railing to Professor Fig's old office, now donned with Eris' velvety green sporting coat. Despite the rushing around, Eris looked pristine in her deep jade ensemble. Her slightly oversized lace hat purposely covered part of her facial scar, while her boots gave her an inch up to make her taller. Magnus looked effortlessly gorgeous with his 3-piece forest green and charcoal suit—one that Eris picked out herself. In a rebellious move, he kept his light hair messy and left the collar undone.

"Why wear a hat in the first place? We're inside," Magnus inquired. An array of makeup, wardrobe pieces, and props were strewn across a bunch of the student desks. In a quick gesture, Eris swooped all contents into her small, enchanted lilac bag. "It's all about the delivery. You only have one chance to make an impression," Eris stated, summoning her jacket from the balcony and placing it neatly on the empty coat rack next to the door. "You don't usually see me work, so I'll give you a show."

Magnus knew that look in her eye—an actress about to start her scene. Eris always treated every new introduction as a way of reinventing herself, a practice made habit from years in the Ministry as a hit witch. Not sure how her antics would work against a child, Magnus thought. But considering Eris' hit rate was over 95%, he could never question her.

Though the two worked together, Magnus always opted for a more reconnaissance role, often supporting Eris from behind unless she truly needed the help. It was a harmonious partnership; he'd find the mark and she'd move to capture. Or kill. The two were always quick and clean, even against dark wizards, unless the situation permitted a messier scene (to which Eris was always happy to oblige).