#18. private barnes

❘❙❚ ISSUE #18 ░░░░ VOL

❘❙❚ ISSUE #18 ░░░░ VOL. 4
 PRIVATE BARNES 🌹

⁘⁙💥 BUY ISSUE #18 FOR $1.00 HERE 

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Private James Barnes was at the air base in New Mexico exhaling the smoke of a cigarette in the company of some buddies. Above their heads they watched the discreet arrival of the superheroes, which hadn't been so discreet after Reiben heard the sergeants complaining about them. It was about time he got to see them in person! Stories were being told in every division, in every corner of the base. Some soldiers returning from missions in which the superheroes had participated told personal stories and exaggerated the heroic deeds, and the crazier ones said that working with a superhero was worse than being sent to run a human torpedo, a suicide mission. Barnes held a neutral opinion, still thinking it was all a government conspiracy and there was no such thing as a man with super-strength who could withstand a shot to the head as if he'd been shot with a rubber bullet.

The first time he had read Soldier Boy's name had been in the New York Times, in a headline celebrating the victory in the Pacific, then, various comments within the military spoke as well as bad about him, the same Sergeant Major of the Army said he was an undisciplined egocentric and with two pairs of huge balls to disobey at convenience; and that the woman had nothing to do in earthly combat.

The conspiracy sounded more real to Barnes after seeing the famous Soldier Boy descend from a helicopter and pose before an exclusive Vought cameraman, and the woman quickly escaped from the group of people and climbed into a Jeep. Among the folks had laughed, their group had varied opinions, but they agreed on the conspiracy. Two people with powers showed up in the middle of a declaration of war? And they were expected to believe that God had sent it that way. Nonsense if they asked him. The benevolent God he prayed to would end the war, not prolong it by sending some superheroes in disguise.

"Was that man trained as a soldier?" asked Reiben flicking his cigarette butt to the ground and stubbing it out with his boots.

"I understand he was" replied Oliver Mason, one of the top fighter pilots.

"He's got a punchable face, they say he has to care for the cameras, so' little gets involved if there's bombs" Grayson was an expert machine gun soldier, the guy was a giant mountain, a top fighter. He had a crooked nose and the baldness of a man in his seventies at twenty-four. "He's a pretty boy. Who invited him?" they all laughed.

Reiben, a man of twenty-one just turned twenty-one yesterday, spat on the ground just as a sergeant passed in front of them, luckily he didn't see him and just told them to disperse, they had to be doing something and, it was true, they must be exercising because they would soon be leaving for the desert continent of Africa, to prepare the city of Gafsa as a forward operating center.