28. the one where rosie falls in love

❘❙❚ ISSUE #28 ░░░░ VOL

❘❙❚ ISSUE #28 ░░░░ VOL. 5
the one where rosie falls in love ┆🌹

⁘⁙💥⛠ BUY ISSUE #28 FOR $1.00 HERE

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

After speaking with Steve, her life had become a bit easier. She thought less about the past and much more about the future, which was a recurring theme among the young. Around her, her classmates were advancing in their professional lives by attending every lecture that doctors around the world offered to young students, enrolling in seminars for the specialization they chose, and staying informed of the latest news. They religiously bought medical journals every month and also had colleagues from other fields of science with whom they debated possible discoveries. There was a great competitiveness that Rosie simply did not possess. She was up to date with the latest news and had experience that many others did not. Most had never touched a patient in their lives; it was forbidden. But Rosie had had hundreds of patients and had learned a lot from the war nurses and doctors who accompanied them on missions. So, she found a small space to shine one Wednesday of intense rain and low temperature when her anatomy professor deviated from the main topic and began to ramble about the importance of keeping calm when we must act quickly to save someone's life.

"With injuries like these," he pointed to a exposed femur fracture on the chalkboard, "you as future doctors must recognize that muscles, bones, and connections are at stake because any wrong move on our part can cost someone's life. The patient entrusts us with their confidence. You will mess up, you can't escape that, but when you do, you won't take the patient's life because you will know how to respond under pressure. The brain is ordered to keep us alive, you'd be surprised at the things it's capable of—well, some of you already know how detrimental the mind can be, and if you're not prepared for death, I suggest you pursue something else. I was a war doctor, I participated in the first one, and if I hadn't already seen death up close, I can't imagine how I would have survived so many kids dying. And it wasn't any different this last time. Have any of you been to war?"

The classroom was filled with men in suits, perfectly styled hair, and well-polished shoes. Pretty faces, without wounds, just pimples and the occasional attempt at a beard. None of them raised their hand, none except Rosie, the only woman.

"Yes," said the professor, looking at her; everyone turned to look at her, "of course, Miss Harrington, but I meant doctors."

"I participated in the healthcare sector," she defended herself more aggressively than she should have. The doctor always treated her with respect and never disqualified her for having powers or being a woman. "I mean," she corrected herself, sitting more comfortably in her seat to hide the fact that she regretted raising her hand. Now everyone was looking at her, and she hated the attention. "I know the information that came from me was about food and battle, but I worked a lot alongside the nurses and doctors."