Chapter ten

Trent's Pov
When Freya said Link wouldn't respond to her he just stared ahead I didn't know what to expect.

I went to the entryway where Link was, he just stared until he saw me then he broke down.

I thought it was probably best to get him away from everyone and I took him to my room.

He is deaf and he got his hearing aids under the counter so he could actually afford to hear.

What stuck in my head the most was his last statement.

"It happened at a bad time so I kept it a secret." He said it in such a somber tone that it scared me.

"Link, buddy, what do you mean?" I asked him worried that his tone meant the worst.

"Mum was having a rough patch so she kicked me out and I was going to find Freya when all of a sudden there was a ringing sound coming from everywhere. I was in shock but I was in an accident my bike was crushed and my soul was too. I had to spend two weeks in hospital before I ran away one night they had told me my tibia and fibula were shattered which I could believe due to the pain I felt the day after the accident when I gained consciousness. Nate was in Hawaii on holiday at the time so I never told him and I had no idea where Freya was at the time so I said the cast on my right leg was from mum which everyone believed and I had bought some cheap invisible hearing aids from a friend under the counter so no one would ever know." Link explained in the best detail he can give me it's easy to tell there are some blank spaces because he had to try and recall the events harder than some other parts.

I sat there for a moment before pulling him into myself we stayed there hugging each other until I heard shouting from downstairs.

Link did too and his heckles were raised instantly.

"Which one of you fuckers messed with my dad he doesn't cry or zone out over nothing it's a ptsd defence mechanism." Freya could be heard yelling, when we got down to the kitchen where she was standing she engulfed Link into a hug.

The two of them cried, Freya was crying out of frustration that much was clear but Link was harder to read it didn't seem to be frustration rather out of genuine sadness or being overwhelmed.

The two of them stayed there for quite some time before Link picked Freya up and set her on his back.

The two smiled while Freya laughed and squealed like a small child.

This looked like second nature to the two of them. As if this was the thing they would do if one of them was sad.

Carmen's pov
I was not happy when Freya yelled at us and used not very nice or pleasant language when she did.

I decided to wait and see if Link would reprimand her over what she had done.

"Freya you can't use language like that with our brothers and there was no need to shout at them. I know you were just defending me but next time you should approach it differently, okay?" Link reprimanded her better than I would have but I suppose if you raise a child from birth you know exactly how to handle them.

"I'm sorry dad and I am sorry guys I just got freaked out." Freya said looking incredibly guilty.

I had to remember these kids were abused so they are used to dealing with anger but they also respond to anger with anger.

I didn't think before pulling Freya into my arms where she then broke down crying.

I tried to reassure her by telling her everything was okay and that sort of thing she seemed to calm down after ten minutes.

"How about we take a break from everything for a while maybe do something just us?" I  asked her.

"That sounds really nice." She said cuddling into me almost as if she were cold.

I turned quickly extending my hand out to her. Before leading her to my room.

Once we reached my room I found one of my baggiest hoodies and gave it to her.

I decided that we could either watch a movie together here in my room or we could read together.

We just lay there hugging for a decent hour before I found the silence suffocating so I decided to put some shitty sitcom on in the background.

Freya was still just laying in my embrace staring ahead into nothing as if it had offended her.

"Do you think I am a bad kid?" I had to listen really hard but in the end I could make out what she had asked me.

Before answering I pulled her over and into my chest so I could properly see her.

"What has made you ask this, did someone say something?" I asked mind running a million miles an hour trying to wrap my head around why she would ever have to ask that question.

"Of course not. We just have to think about what you have been through before we handle anything even with Link. For example before yelling is how you normally respond to anger given what you have experienced growing up with Link, but here we barely yell and when someone does we tend to yell back which often causes stand offs. In your case due to traumatic experiences with anger and yelling instead of a stand off it causes you to cry or get emotional. That in ways makes you a bad kid if anything it makes you amazing you have dealt with everything life has frown at you in an incredibly smart way but here there are no ulterior motives so you don't need to overthink your next move." I reasoned with her trying to make it explicitly clear that she was not in the wrong at all here.