Lullaby in Frogland (Part Three)

"A mistake?"
You felt tears begin to form in your eyes. This could have been the perfect first kiss, the sun was setting, you were on a boat surrounded by frog-people for Christ's sake!
Wirt mumbled something under his breath, his head sheepishly looking downwards.
You felt a jolt, then the boat stop.

And you didn't look back as you ran into the unknown, the tears now streaming down your face.

•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•
Wirt POV

"You're so out of my league, (y/n). I really like you but I'll just disappoint you." I quickly mumbled, so quietly I was sure it was inaudible.
As the boat came to a stop, I saw (y/n) run away. I tried to go after her, but Beatrice stopped me.

"You royally screwed this one up, you idiot. She needs space." Beatrice yelled, slapping me in the face with her wing.
"Ouch!" I held my cheek and gave her an annoyed look, but I knew she was right. I couldn't disappoint (y/n). I cared about her so much and I knew she cared about me, but there was nothing I could give her that someone else, someone better, at our school couldn't.
I grabbed Greg's hand and pulled him over to a tree. I laid my cape down on the cold ground, and tried my best to fall asleep.
However, right before I finally drifted off, I saw Beatrice sneakily fly away.
*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•**•*•*•*•*•*•
(Y/N) POV
After a few minutes of running aimlessly through the woods, you noticed a familiar building up ahead. Right there in front of you, was the old mill that you, Wirt, and Greg had gone to the very first night in the unknown.
"This can't be right." You whispered to yourself. Ever since you arrived at this strange wooded realm, nothing that happened there had made any sense. You had gone far away from this mill, yet there it was, right in front of you.
"You again?" a gruff voice said from behind you.
You jumped, quickly wiping your tears away before turning around.
"Hello, woodsman" You sniffled. 
"What's the matter, child?" He asked, his usual cold stare slightly softened, in an almost fatherly way.
"I.. I kissed Wirt. And I don't think he liked it." You managed to mutter out. Saying what happened only made it more real to you.
"There, there." The woodsman patted you on the shoulder. "You remind me of my daughter. She was absolutely in love with one of the boys I hired to help me chop firewood. But she was too much of an over-thinker to realize that he loved her too."
You weren't sure, but you could swear you saw the slightest shimmer of a tear in the woodsman's eyes as he told you that story.
"I didn't know you had a daughter." You looked at him, puzzled.
The woodsman sighed.
"Come inside, child. I should tell you a bit more about the power that the beast possesses."
And with that, the woodsman gently put a hand on your back, and led you inside of the broken down mill.