Chapter 11

Never lose these people for they are the most sincere and true lovers- Zodiac

"Hey Mac, I think I got something." Athena said walking into Mac's office her head buried in the folder not even thinking to knock as she stride into his office. "I might just have found a link to the letters and our killer." she finally looked up, freezing in her spot as she laid eyes on the man sitting across from Mac. "Gil?"

"Good to see you are climbing up in your work." he said standing up from his chair as Mac did the same. Athena was in shock seeing her godfather after almost five months, standing before her she couldn't form words.

"How?" was the only word she got out as Gil smiled before looking towards Mac.

"Well I called Mac to see how you were holding up and then he gave me the news so I had to get down here and come congratulate you myself, seeing as I am your godfather and all."

"I'm glad to see you, just surprised." she said before hugging him tightly while also shooting a confused look towards Mac who only gave her a reassuring smile in return. After their moment she pulled away while Gil looked at her proudly.

"Mac told me about you going back to university to finish your bachelor's degree. I'm proud." he said as Athena smiled. "And look at you already working on a case and solving problems."

"Yeah I'm just a trainer."

"For now." Mac spoke up for the first time as Gil and Athena looked towards him. "You have a very talented daughter, Grissom."

"Yeah that's what I keep telling her but do you think she believes me?"

"Stubbornness runs deep." Mac commented as Athena let out a sign.

"Please continue your bickering about me as if I'm not standing here." she said as Gil pulled her into a side hug. "How long are you staying?"

"Until the end of the week. Catherine's got the ford down back home."

"Wait, is Sara here?"

"Yeah she wanted to come in but she didn't want to mother you too much. She did invite you to dinner tonight. The three of us are having a family dinner like old times."

"That sounds perfect."

"Mac you are more than welcome to join us, since you are the reason she will be finishing what she started."

"Oh I couldn't impose."

"Nonsenses it would be great not to be the only man." Gil joked as Athena bumped her shoulder against his.

"Gil, don't force them man. If he doesn't want to come we can't force him."

"I'm not forcing him, just pleading with him not to say no."

"Yeah that's forcing."

"But please we would be honored to have you join us for dinner." Gil said as Athena looked towards Mac, the two of them locked gazes for a moment before Mac broke their staring and turned towards Gil.

"I would be honored to join you."

"Great. Be at the Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steakhouse?"

"Yeah I know the place, pretty fancy."

"Yeah Sara wants to treat Athena to a celebration dinner. So be there at eight?"
"Will do."

"Great." Gil then turned towards Athena. "Well I will leave you to get back to work. Will see you tonight kiddo." he places a kiss on the side of her head and turns towards Mac shaking his hand. "A pleasure as always Mac." he only nodded his head as Gil walked out of the office and towards the elevators. Athena turns towards Mac giving him an apologizing smile.